Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    Just to give an idea of how badly 4.0.7 performs under IE, my app takes 27 seconds to load and the UI is barley responsive. The same app under Chrome takes 5 seconds and the UI has acceptable response times.
    If we could reproduce something with these characteristics perhaps extended from our examples, I think that would go a long way. Obviously, none of the examples we work with are large enough to approach that number.
    Don Griffin
    Ext JS Development Team Lead

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

@Don,

I'll mock a large example up over the weekend. Can you give commitment that when 4.1 is GA, there will be a definite answer either way on the framework?

Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

Can we for clarities sake agree that there is a fundamental performance issue on 4.1 pr1? With that in mind can we agree that when the release build of 4.1 is made available, if that also exhibits the same performance profile as 4.1 pr1, that Sencha communicate exactly what the situation is.

i.e.
    1. We accept there is a serious issue here and will fix the problem and give the promised performance hike over 3.x

2. We know there is a serious issue here but that's the best we can do performance wise in the 4.x framework. (Outside of minor optimisations)
    First a disclaimer: I am not qualified to speak on that level for Sencha. I don't make prioritization or direction decisions.

It is safe to say that we are extremely focused on performance in this release and I don't see that focus shifting until we are happy with our performance. That said, quantifying the measure of success I think would benefit from community input. Hence the request for more representative use cases. Having concrete examples of performance numbers like what you describe would go a long way to help focus attention.
    Don Griffin

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating

@Don,

I'll mock a large example up over the weekend. Can you give commitment that when 4.1 is GA, there will be a definite answer either way on the framework?
    That would be awesome, very helpful and much appreciated.

Your request is very reasonable and I wish I could speak to it myself. I think that will need to be an Ed, Abe or Michael question.
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    That would be awesome, very helpful and much appreciated.

Your request is very reasonable and I wish I could speak to it myself. I think that will need to be an Ed, Abe or Michael question.
    Great, I've just dropped Ed a little email with where I'm up to and I'll crack on with a big example ready for close of play Sunday.

Best
    MrSparks

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rich02818 is on a distinguished road

@Don I'm feeling ignored

You answered all other posts except mine. My suspicious mind makes me wonder why Sencha has consistently requested complex examples of performance problems, but ignored the posts showing that only a very simple page is needed to see the difference clearly. Please take a good look at the post I mentioned earlier, which I will provide again. I'd very much appreciate feedback.

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?141113-v4-performance-very-slow-with-very-simple-page

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    @Don I'm feeling ignored

You answered all other posts except mine. My suspicious mind makes me wonder why Sencha has consistently requested complex examples of performance problems, but ignored the posts showing that only a very simple page is needed to see the difference clearly. Please take a good look at the post I mentioned earlier, which I will provide again. I'd very much appreciate feedback.

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?141113-v4-performance-very-slow-with-very-simple-page
    Apologies... I was not ignoring your post. I actually have the page open and was going to look at your code... once my working branch is running again

One of the items on my list to check is if we can simplify field layouts in particular because it has "work around" code in it currently to measure each element and sum their individual widths. I don't think that is needed in 4.1 and it should help a lot to remove it. Also, since fields typically show up in multiples, I have been considering a FieldGroup container (name TBD) that uses tables to achieve alignment (and auto labelWidths) which should avoid even more calculation. I believe there was such a ux in v3 (table form or something).

I guess that your post (because it is field related) fell into my "more research required to provide details" filter, but I do apologize for the silence. No slight intended.

Thanks for posting code to help illustrate the issues you are seeing by the way! It is helpful and is not being ignored, despite all evidence to the contrary.
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rich02818 is on a distinguished road

@Don, thanks for the reply. I actually only added text fields to the simple example to extend it a bit. The performance difference is quite visible by simply creating a viewport with no fields or labels at all. That is the first of the test cases in my earlier post.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    @Don, thanks for the reply. I actually only added text fields to the simple example to extend it a bit. The performance difference is quite visible by simply creating a viewport with no fields or labels at all. That is the first of the test cases in my earlier post.
    I think the trick here is to separate marginal, fixed costs from those that scale in unfriendly ways as the UI grows to a meaningful size.

While we are looking at those fixed costs like load time, class definition/processing and onready detection (esp in IE), we are more focused on costs that grow with UI complexity. Things like component creation, container initialization, rendering and layout. Then there is intelligent layout invalidation (to only recalculate what is necessary) to ensure a responsive UI.

A few milliseconds of extra fixed cost is not nearly as important when compared to even a small cost that gets multiplied by M*N (M=# of containers, N=# of components) or something like that.

Hopefully that helps explain why we are mostly looking at and asking for larger examples. If we make those perform acceptably, the small ones should come along for the ride
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Gummy is on a distinguished road

What would be nice is to have some guidelines on how to make an fast ExtJS application.
    What parts of an application makes it slow ?
    Is is the number of components ? The complexity of the layout ?
    Are some components slower than others ? Could it be mentioned in their documentation ?

As a side note I think ExtJS is great, it made me love web programming. I hope it will be fast, reliable and successful