Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    pret is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: Records: I can't access response object after a failed save method

Answered: Records: I can't access response object after a failed save method

Hi all,

Recently I've posted this question, and I thought I had the answer, but there's a problem. I need to access the response object in the "success" and "failure" callbacks of the "save" method of a record:

Code:
    myRecord.save({
        success:                 function(record, operation) {
            var response = operation.response;    // OK, here I have the response
        },
        failure:                   function(record, operation) {
            var response = operation.response     // ERROR. operation doesn't have the response!
        }
    })

This is a problem for me, because I need to access additional data from the response I send back from the server:

Code:
    {success: false, errors: [{error: 'Error1'}, {error: 'Error 2'}], msg: 'There were errors', additionalParameters: [{param1: 'Param 1'}]}

Thanks in advance.

2. Do you have access to the proxy/reader from the callback maybe from the 'this' scope? You can get the data there then.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

The save method only accepts a config object of Ext.data.Operation which only has a callback function.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Hi!

Strange, the callbacks defined in "success" and "failure" are called too. Defining "callback" with my callback still receives an Ext.data.Operation object with no "response" object, which is what I need.

This is what I'm receiving in a failure case (from Chrome's console):

Code:
    Ext.Class.newClass
    1. action: "update"
    2. callback: function (record, operation, success) {
    3. error: undefined
    4. exception: true
    5. records: Array[1]
    6. request: Ext.Class.newClass
    7. running: false
    8. scope: Ext.Class.newClass
    9. success: false
    10. __proto__: Class.registerPreprocessor.prototype
    However, if I change the name of the property "callback" and I use "success", in a success case the response IS defined:

Code:
    Ext.Class.newClass
    1. action: "update"
    2. complete: true
    3. records: Array[1]
    4. request: Ext.Class.newClass
    5. response: Object -> This is what I need
    6. resultSet: Ext.Class.newClass
    7. running: false
    8. scope: Ext.Class.newClass
    9. success: true
    10. __proto__: Class.registerPreprocessor.prototype
    Thanks!

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have access to the proxy/reader from the callback maybe from the 'this' scope? You can get the data there then.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Great! That's the way to find the response. I finally access the response in the following way:

Code:
    record.save({                
        callback:        function(record, operation, success) {
            var response = this.getProxy().reader.jsonData;
        }
    });
    I really think this should be part of the operation object. It's too hidden this way.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    MaciejZabielski is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but I don't understand how it works for you?
    reader.jsonData
    contains, in my case, entire data loaded so far to the store, but I need access to response object.
    And later on to response.responseText. I handle entire batch of operations, so I actually need that for every operation in a batch, that failed.
    How to get reference to response object for each operation, and WHY it is not included by default?!

on success I can assess that in the following way:
    batch.operations[0].response.responseText

"response" in undefined in case of failure

EDIT: I have finally found rather ackward way of accessing response object in callback arguments!
    operation.request.callback.arguments[2]

EDIT2: the path provided above only works for the last operation in batch.