Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Whatty is on a distinguished road

Default Windows 8, Metro UI and Sencha

Windows 8, Metro UI and Sencha

I was reading an article lately about the new Metro UI in Windows 8 where essentially all new applications can be delivered in HTML 5 or XAML.

Although I haven't yet had the opportunity to fully digest the ramifications of this - it does raise some interesting questions about what role Sencha could play in delivering desktop applications (what-ever definition you use for that now-a-days) to the Windows platform. The line between a true desktop application and a web application is already becoming very fuzzy (see Chrome book shown at the Sencha conference, Google apps, etc etc)

With the latest developments in HTML 5 (local storage is a good example) the line between a desktop application and a web application is unclear - this only furthers this - especially if you consider what I expect would be a OS abstraction / interface layer similar to what we already see in the Sencha Touch platform.

Raises some interesting opportunities...

Any thoughts...

Whatty

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I for one am very excited to see Windows 8 flood the market... hope the corporate world adopts fast but that won't happen

So yes... looks like web apps will be launchable just like native apps and have more device APIs available. We are well aware of this and this does create a huge opportunity for us to develop things that will work with it. Love it or hate it, Windows is still the largest OS but Windows 8 looks fantastic!

Not just Sencha Touch but Ext JS can be bundled up. It's a good day to be a web dev
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

Dont forget Ext-GWT Mitch

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Whatty is on a distinguished road

Having read further into the capabilities of the pending Win 8 platform - this blurs the line between a desktop interface and a "mobile" like interface - which has implications for the distinction between the ExtJS and Touch platforms.

I would love to be able to develop against a single library and target the output based on the device - whether that would be a "standard" mobile, a Win 8 UI, or traditional web app. That would require some pretty heavy lifting on behalf of the Sencha libraries but wow would that be fantastic.

Whatty

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ekambos View Post
    Dont forget Ext-GWT Mitch
    Java lover j/k

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Whatty View Post
    Having read further into the capabilities of the pending Win 8 platform - this blurs the line between a desktop interface and a "mobile" like interface - which has implications for the distinction between the ExtJS and Touch platforms.

I would love to be able to develop against a single library and target the output based on the device - whether that would be a "standard" mobile, a Win 8 UI, or traditional web app. That would require some pretty heavy lifting on behalf of the Sencha libraries but wow would that be fantastic.

Whatty
    Don't think it would be hard... use some meta tags to load certain libraries (or a small bootloading lib) so you can load either Ext JS or Sencha Touch based on device type and then you can load certain applications based on that also.

Vote Rating

If only Linux had a large enough footprint Still very cool!

Sencha - Community Support Team mschwartz's Avatar
    San Diego, Peoples' Republic of California
    Vote Rating
    mschwartz will become famous soon enough mschwartz will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    If only Linux had a large enough footprint Still very cool!
    I was just pointing out that Microsoft isn't being innovative here. The ability to JavaScript UI in Linux has been there a while, perhaps even a year or more.

OSX (Lion, I never used earlier versions) has Dashboard widgets that look like they can be scripted in HTML/JavaScript/CSS, etc.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mschwartz View Post
    I was just pointing out that Microsoft isn't being innovative here. The ability to JavaScript UI in Linux has been there a while, perhaps even a year or more.

OSX (Lion, I never used earlier versions) has Dashboard widgets that look like they can be scripted in HTML/JavaScript/CSS, etc.
    I see... don't really care that people steal from each other... just great that Microsoft is actually doing something like this. Want Mac to have full apps not just widgets.