Hybrid View

Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LEWJO10@ca.com is on a distinguished road

Default GXT 3.0 Charts - Performance & Scalability Problems

GXT 3.0 Charts - Performance & Scalability Problems

We are very interested in ditching our Adobe Flex charts and replacing them with the new GXT 3.0 charts. But, due to performance / scalability issues, this does not seem to be a viable option and we suspect that we may not be alone in making this observation.

The charts on GXT 3.0 Explorer Demo typically show three or four series over (at most) twelve monthly time periods and the response time is very good. However, our charts generally have more data series and a greater number of time periods.

With that said, while working with the new GXT 3.0 Column Chart (using Developer Preview 5), I encountered performance / scalability issues in both Firefox and IE when I increased the number of series to nine over 90 daily time periods (code attached for your review).

The chart in the attached code takes around 30 seconds to render in Firefox (almost 60 seconds in IE), and I must click “Continue” on the proverbial Firefox dialogue “Warning: Unresponsive script – A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.”

The attached code resizes the presentation when the end-user resizes their browser window. When I resize the browser window the chart takes a very long time to resize, does so multiple times without warning and I again encounter the proverbial Firefox dialogue “Warning: Unresponsive script …” several times.

Also, when the chart is rendering for the first time and resizing later in response to browser window resizing there is no progress indicator. Further, when the browser window is resized, the display is locked up until most of the process completes.

As a comparison, I maintain a similar Adobe Flex chart that has nine series over 200 hourly time periods that resizes when the end-user resizes their browser window without any of these problems. If you can get the GXT 3.0 charts to do the same then a lot of developers would regard them as a viable alternative to Adobe Flex.

If I am doing something wrong here then please let me know. I am hopeful that I can replace the Adobe Flex charts with the new GXT 3.0 ones.

By the way, I really enjoyed the Austin conference.

Thank you,
    John Lewis
    Attached Files

Vote Rating
    BrendanC is on a distinguished road

Hey John,
    Thanks for the great post. Troy also brought this to my attention at the conference. We are currently looking into improving the performance of grouped and stacked bar for larger numbers of fields. I'll be sure to use your code example in my testing.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

Hi John,
    Can you share what s wrong with the Flex charts ? Or are you simply going the "no plugin" road ?

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Hi Brendon,

Thank you so very much for your quick reply and assurance that this will not be a continuing problem.

I plan to continue working with the new GXT 3.0 charts to replace the Flex ones we have.

John Lewis

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Hi Ekambos,

We want to replace the Flex charts so our application will be positioned to run under Microsoft Metro IE and possibly other browsers that may eventually not provide plug in support. Also, it will greatly simplify the technology stack.

John Lewis

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

Hi John,
    makes sence. Thx for the explanation.

Vote Rating
    BrendanC is on a distinguished road

Hey Ekambos,
    One of the main reasons we decided to make GWT-based charts for 3.0 is the greatly improved integration between charting and the rest of the library. Using Open Flash Charts or a third-party JS library makes charting a black box with less accessibility and customization.

Thread Participants: 2