Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Edmund is on a distinguished road

Default 2011-11-30 Updates

2011-11-30 Updates

We have made good progress on reducing the bug count and now we are down to 26 (see attached). Our goal is to release 4.1 Beta by year's end.

Note: the lower bug count is a result of fixed and postponed bugs. As usual, the release notes will contain a list of all bugs that have been addressed.
    Attached Files
    Edmund Leung
    Sencha Product Management

Vote Rating
    dawesi has a spectacular aura about dawesi has a spectacular aura about

Firstly, I don't buy the excuse from some people here that projects may be ruined becase a 'stable' release is not available. This is a risk you took when implementing a first release of version 4 (it's basic project risk mitigation!), so you should be willing to wear the price of a delay because of it.

Secondly, by hiding SVN from developers (who have paid for access to it) you also shelter them from potential fixes to their issues. It's really simple to roll backward and forward on releases, so why not just let people have access at their own peril. This has always been the case for SVN, so I can't see why anyone would whinge about a broken SVN build, when it's clear the trunk is 'unstable' by definition.

So to recap... people whinging shouldn't be, and Sencha need to be less exclusive with SVN (a paid premium service)...

Just my 2c...
    Teahouse Training Company
    Official Certified Sencha Trainer

Australia / New Zealand / Singapore / Hong Kong & APAC

SenchaWorld.com - Sencha webinars, videos, etc
    SenchaForge.org - (coming soon)
    TeahouseHQ.com - Sencha ecosystem training portal

Code Validation : JSLint | JSONLint | JSONPLint

Vote Rating
    ykey has a spectacular aura about ykey has a spectacular aura about

All I want is a public JIRA. The forum bug reporting is a joke.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    danCTS is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ykey View Post
    +1

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    onestep is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ykey View Post
    +1

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Some info on 4.1.0 in SVN...

Historically, we have tried to only allow the version that is beta. So when 4.1.0 beta comes out, it should make it's way to SVN. I'm sure you know that this is the bleeding edge code that is in SVN so it may be a bumpy road is some cases. Personally, I update my local git repo couple times a day and I have no problems I couldn't easily correct.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    marc.fearby will become famous soon enough

Default My experiences with 4.1 PR1

My experiences with 4.1 PR1

This may not come as a surprise to everyone, but a largish system I'm developing in 4.0.7 with the help of Ext Designer 1.2 is quite broken when I test it against ext-4.1-pr1, particularly when it comes to nested/complex layouts. So I guess these are known bugs and is to be expected with a product not yet in beta. The offending nested/complex layouts are nothing but forms with column layout with containers for each column containing field sets and lots of child components. Nothing that Ext Designer hasn't let me get away with. Oh, and a grid with a column header with child columns won't even show in ext-4.1-pr1 (though this same grid that Ext Designer let me create is now crashing that same program a fair bit, I must say).

The kitchen sink looks great in Chrome 15, less so in Firefox 8, and terrible in IE8, though I'm sure that's definitely known to be the case right now.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    This may not come as a surprise to everyone, but a largish system I'm developing in 4.0.7 with the help of Ext Designer 1.2 is quite broken when I test it against ext-4.1-pr1, particularly when it comes to nested/complex layouts. So I guess these are known bugs and is to be expected with a product not yet in beta. The offending nested/complex layouts are nothing but forms with column layout with containers for each column containing field sets and lots of child components. Nothing that Ext Designer hasn't let me get away with. Oh, and a grid with a column header with child columns won't even show in ext-4.1-pr1 (though this same grid that Ext Designer let me create is now crashing that same program a fair bit, I must say).
    There are definite layout bugs in 4.1 PR1. We believe we have just about all of them correct at this point, which is a goal for the next public build.

If you care to post an example that mimics what you are doing (like a bug report http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...o-report-a-bug), I could test it against the current build. If it finds any latent problems in the layout system, that would be extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    The kitchen sink looks great in Chrome 15, less so in Firefox 8, and terrible in IE8, though I'm sure that's definitely known to be the case right now.
    Indeed. IE support in Neptune is still a lot of work.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Don Griffin
    Ext JS Development Team Lead

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    zombeerose will become famous soon enough zombeerose will become famous soon enough

@mitchellsimoens
    Thanks for the follow-up. While I understand and can agree with the SVN policy regarding past versions, I feel that they should not apply to version 4 of the software. As soon as Sencha chose to issue a Preview Release of ExtJS, the historical guidelines should have dissolved. I think SVN should be available immediately for all minor & patch releases of version 4. Moving forward, any work on version 5 can be behind doors with SVN limited to the beta release.

As far as I understand, one of the main goals of the Preview Release was to stabilize and get real-world testing performed by the community. I have reported several bugs in 4.1PR and find it quite frustrating that I don't have access to the corresponding patches that would be in SVN. That was one of the biggest reasons I purchased Premium Support.

I fully accept responsibility that my code may be broken worse if I run the bleeding edge SVN commit. That doesn't mean I'm going to update to the HEAD tag constantly and then start complaining that the code is broken. I want access to the Sencha fixes.

I want to add that I am thrilled with the direction of the code-base. Recently, I had to work on a product developed with Ext 3.3 and was amazed when mentally comparing the changes between 3 and 4. Keep up the awesomeness!!!

Just my 1.33∞ cents.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Some info on 4.1.0 in SVN...

Historically, we have tried to only allow the version that is beta. So when 4.1.0 beta comes out, it should make it's way to SVN. I'm sure you know that this is the bleeding edge code that is in SVN so it may be a bumpy road is some cases. Personally, I update my local git repo couple times a day and I have no problems I couldn't easily correct.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zombeerose View Post
    @mitchellsimoens
    Thanks for the follow-up. While I understand and can agree with the SVN policy regarding past versions, I feel that they should not apply to version 4 of the software. As soon as Sencha chose to issue a Preview Release of ExtJS, the historical guidelines should have dissolved. I think SVN should be available immediately for all minor & patch releases of version 4. Moving forward, any work on version 5 can be behind doors with SVN limited to the beta release.

As far as I understand, one of the main goals of the Preview Release was to stabilize and get real-world testing performed by the community. I have reported several bugs in 4.1PR and find it quite frustrating that I don't have access to the corresponding patches that would be in SVN. That was one of the biggest reasons I purchased Premium Support.

I fully accept responsibility that my code may be broken worse if I run the bleeding edge SVN commit. That doesn't mean I'm going to update to the HEAD tag constantly and then start complaining that the code is broken. I want access to the Sencha fixes.

I want to add that I am thrilled with the direction of the code-base. Recently, I had to work on a product developed with Ext 3.3 and was amazed when mentally comparing the changes between 3 and 4. Keep up the awesomeness!!!

Just my 1.33∞ cents.
    While I can understand and sympathize we were making some radical changes. Yes, we wanted to see if we were on the right track with PR1 but working with it locally during this time it wasn't that stable with that many of radical changes. It wouldn't be a good idea to get that out so beta wasn't close to being ready. In fact a PR2 wasn't really feasible with the number of bugs we created for ourselves by releasing a PR1. Most of the bugs were because we released it at such an early stage and if we would have waited a little longer I don't think a lot of those bugs would be there.

I agree with you... I wish I could just dump Ext JS 3 (and ST1 for ST2)... it is such a great experience working with Ext JS 4 over Ext JS 3. And seeing it overcome a lot of the huge bugs is great to experience! Don, Nige, Evan and Phil are doing a phenomenal job on Ext JS 4... they deserve loads of beer!
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.