Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    healthformula is on a distinguished road

Question Need an honest opinion

Need an honest opinion

This question goes to all Sencha Developers and Sencha Management Team. Now it's not a mystery anymore that Ext4.x is lot slower than Ext 3.x branch. I won't go into more detail since there are already tons of threads in forum related to it.

However, we are in the process of revamping one of our major software, which was originally written in Ext 3.x. Now the question is what should we use in upcoming version. Ext 3 or 4 ? We would really appreciate if anybody can give us an honest opinion regarding this issue. What will be more advantageous using Ext 3 or 4 in long run?
    Last edited by healthformula; 22 Nov 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

IMHO it really depends on your usecase, like how big / complex the app is and how many custom UX you are using.

I personally would go for Ext 4 since the new code architecture is beautiful and fun to work with. It makes the developers life more easy for creating and maintaining apps. The team is pushing Ext 4 with a lot of manpower and I am confident that the performance will increase in future releases (4.1 is not the end of the road).
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Ext JS 4 will be supported
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

I struggled with this for a bit and we decided to go with ExtJS4. Although it does not have everything available, things are starting to mature a little bit at a time.

While I wait for things become available, it give us time to really tweak the things that are available. There is always room for improvement in apps.

Regards,
    Scott.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    healthformula is on a distinguished road

Question

Thank you very much for the reply. We understand that 4.1 is not the end of the road. But the question is how stable is 4.0 branch and when 4.1 is going to be released as a final version. After reading through this post

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...atement/page11

we are even more uncertain than before. It seems like 4.x branch is really unstable at the moment to build any enterprise class application. Any comments....

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

4.0.x branch was unstable at the beginning. I would say 4.0.6 turned that corner very well but IE still suffered. In 4.1, we have done a lot of work. Actually, Don Griffin, Nige White and Evan Trimboli have done a lot of work. Three major things are happening in 4.1:
    1. Layout engine has been totally reworked and optimized. This actually used the same code form Ext JS 3 when it seemed fast but all the stuff we are doing in 4.x turned it to be slow, mainly in IE.
    2. Batch DOM writes. DOM interaction is probably the slowest thing that will ever happen. In Ext JS 3 and before, we would read/write on the DOM as needed but that created quite a few calls to the DOM. To streamline this, we try to batch as much as possible. So when adding components, it's DOM structure is built outside of the DOM and then injected using innerHtml all in one pass.
    3. Now probably one of the best improvements! In 4.0.x, grids and trees used our own virtual scrolling. Basically we tried to control the scrolling but ran into a lot of problems. So we threw it out and rethought how we are doing things. We went back to letting the browser handle the scrolling using the browser native scrolling. That one change fixed a ton of bugs.

As for a date, beta will be coming soon but GA is unplanned... it's all about how the betas and RCs go. We don't like to give firm dates or even a close guess as when we fix something, it usually breaks something else so then we have to fix it too. Doesn't happen often but it does happen. Not that the code is wrong, just a fix may change the way we want to do something.

Hope this helps!

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

Forgot to talk about what impact those changes have. So in 4.0.7 a complex latout that we use for testing took 4.5 seconds to render (pretty bad huh?). With 4.1-PR1 (and not all changes finished), it was down to 2.2 seconds. This was on IE8.

The theme example has lots of components and we ran this and saw huge gains. In IE8, it went from 87.8 seconds down to 34.6 seconds. In IE7, from 76.6 seconds to 29.6 seconds. Last, our favorite browser ever, IE6 went from 59.7 seconds to 19.5 seconds.

So we saw some very great improvements and they are getting very close to Ext JS 3 performance. Being around Ext JS for a long time, I remember when 3.0 came out it was buggy but it was worked through and over the couple years it was out it got to be very stable. So yes, 4.0 wasn't the best release ever but it's been out for less than a year and the performance is getting much much better. And when 4.1 GA comes out... that won't be the end of our performance fixes. Performance will still be one of the highest priorities!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    tewabit is on a distinguished road

Default we went with ExtJS4

we went with ExtJS4

We also had to make this decision fairly recently. We went with ExtJS4. We were seduced by all the cool new features 4 offered It has been pretty frustrating at times with stability and performance issues - but the issues seem to be getting ironed out slowly but surely. I do have confidence that 4 will eventually be killer, but I wouldn't recommend it if you need something NOW. If you have the luxury of a few more months - I'd recommend going with 4 - it has been nice developing in. If you have to show things off now to get buy in, you're better off with 3 - the speed comes across really crappy in demos and has hurt us in showing off our "cool new ui technology" to business.

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

And when 4.1 GA comes out...
    In all the posts, the one the that is never addressed. When will paid users get SVN/GIT access to the latest 4.1 trunks?

I agreed that I would like for all the releases to be stable, but sometimes it is helpful to get incremental updates as well.

Regards,
    Scott.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by tewabit View Post
    If you have to show things off now to get buy in, you're better off with 3 - the speed comes across really crappy in demos and has hurt us in showing off our "cool new ui technology" to business.
    Don't demo with IE, go with Chrome