Ext User
    Vote Rating
    devol is on a distinguished road

Default Weird rendering issue when rendering more than 11 columns

Weird rendering issue when rendering more than 11 columns

Rendering more than 11 columns causes weird rendering issues in my app. I don't know why that seems to be the magic number, but it is.

If I make the model contain 13 columns, the 12th and 13th column headers render, but inside the model info is blank. Then the data from those two columns renders on top of the first column.

I'm trying to figure out how I can sanitise this client data so that I can put up an example to show you.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Ok here is an example of my problem.
    http://www.brokencrew.com/~sjacobs/grid/portal-yui.html

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I'm using the Prototype library still. But If you'd like to see the problem:
    In my code:
    Code:
    var myColumns = $R(1, 11*2, false).collect ( function (col, idx) {
    				var even = {header: 'Week '+ Math.ceil(col/2) + '
    Actual', width: 50, renderer: hours}; 
    				var odd = {header: 'Week ' + Math.ceil(col/2) + '
    Budget', width: 50, renderer: hours};
    				return (idx % 2 ? even : odd);
    		});
    		myColumns = [{header: 'Labor Category', width: 300, renderer: italic}].concat(myColumns);
    If you change that to this:
    Code:
    var myColumns = $R(1, 10*2, false).collect ( function (col, idx) { /*** CHANGED 11 to 10 ***/
    				var even = {header: 'Week '+ Math.ceil(col/2) + '
    Actual', width: 50, renderer: hours}; 
    				var odd = {header: 'Week ' + Math.ceil(col/2) + '
    Budget', width: 50, renderer: hours};
    				return (idx % 2 ? even : odd);
    		});
    		myColumns = [{header: 'Labor Category', width: 300, renderer: italic}].concat(myColumns);
    It works, but of course you are now missing the last two columns worth of data on the page.[/code]

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Grab this file and include it:

http://www.jackslocum.com/blog/css/reset-min.css and tell me if it fixes it.

It's a very slightly modified version of yahoo standard css reset.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

No difference. I also tried using reset.css and fonts.css from yahoo and that did nothing as well.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

One thing I noticed, is if I remove the height of the element, it of course only renders the top portion. But I am able to scroll "further to the right" than if I do specify the height parameter. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

This was an interesting one.

The problem is you are actually rendering 22 columns. Here's what I get for a row:

<span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-0"><span class="ygrid-cell-text">Text For Row 2</span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-1"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-2"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">32.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-3"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-4"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-5"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-6"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">120.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-7"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-8"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-9"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-10"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-11"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-12"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-13"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-14"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-15"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-16"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-17"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-18"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-19"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-20"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-21"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span><span tabindex="0" class="ygrid-col ygrid-col-22 ygrid-col-last"><span class="ygrid-cell-text"><div class="gridhours">40.00</div></span></span></span>

Notice it goes all the way to ygrid-col-21 and 22. In the default CSS file, I've only defined placeholder rules up to ygrid-col-20. So the extra ones are not being positioned.

On a side note I notice you intend to have 2 grid in the same page. That's fine, but if you do you will have to define column placeholders for each column, for example:

#mygrid .ygrid-col-0{
    }

for as many columns as you have. The must be individual selectors and cant be combined. This is a limitation for multi grids in 1 page because they can't share the default rule and I am not aware of a way to dynamically create rules that works in Safari.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I realized the 22 column thing too after my initial post, however I was unaware that there were placeholder rules... I guess this is a by product of the positioning code. I was planning on having about 104 columns... (And was noticing that horizontal scrolling wasn't as optimized as vertical scrolling).

I need to take a look and see how this impacts what I'm doing, and if I can think of a better way to optimize this.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Worst case I can dynamically generate the css for the page. Kind of ugly though.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

ok so I see that you are using YAHOO.ext.util.CSS.updateRule to update the css rule dynamically. Could this be changed to us YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle and giving every column's span an id? And then just setting the positioning attributes directly with the id? You could still skin the id's directly from CSS, and they would be easy to name. You pass the element to render to when you call the grid construct. So if that is gridID you could name things something like:
    Code:
    <span id="gridID-ygrid-col-1">...</span>
    Your css would certainly be a lot smaller since you would only need to define rules for columns that you didn't want to be the default.

Thoughts?