Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    el_chief will become famous soon enough

Default Dear Admins: Re Forum Spam

Dear Admins: Re Forum Spam

First, you guys do a good job of getting rid of spam.

However, it does show up on RSS, and is probably a bit of work for you.

It might be easier to add a few options to your forum board, to reduce the incentive for people to spam:

1. Turn on rel="nofollow" on hyperlinks. This will tell search engines to not follow links on the board (you can add a whitelist), so spammers have less incentive to spam:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/343940-How-to-add-(-rel-quot-nofollow-quot-)-to-all-external-links!

. you could also moderate new users, and use captcha questions:

http://imtips.co/stop-vbulletin-spam.html

T
    hanks!

Vote Rating
    skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future

Today does seem to have been particularly bad for spam.

Some forums moderate all first posts. While I can see all sorts of reasons why this might be unpopular it does help to protect against being flooded the way we are today.

Vote Rating
    jayrobinson has a spectacular aura about jayrobinson has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input, el_chief. We want to keep Sencha Forum the best place to get help for Sencha users, and we are always looking at ways to improve the experience.

We now have a captcha for user registration, and this has cut down on spam quite a bit. We also have many helpful moderators who keep a close eye on the Forum.

I was not aware of the nofollow setting you linked to in #1. I have just turned it on. Thanks!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    el_chief will become famous soon enough

awesome, thanks a bunch!

Vote Rating
    vmorale4 is on a distinguished road

For the past half hour I've been getting spammed directly to my e-mail address with fake download links to supposedly 'download' the latest version of Sencha,

Does anybody else have had any problems like this today? In my case emails begin with 'dear vmorale4' and end with 'The Sencha Team'

I'm not even sure how the spammers got my e-mail address AFAIK is not visible from my user profile
    Last edited by vmorale4; 30 Aug 2013 at 6:25 AM. Reason: clarification

Vote Rating
    murphy is on a distinguished road

Here it's the same problem. Also they are using my email adress, i exclusive created for this forum.

And they are using my username. May be there is a security problem with the forum. That's bad...

I got 8 mails till noch today.

/murphy
    Windows, MySQL, PHP, JavaScript, ExtJS

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I've gotten the same emails for some of my users not all but stopped after I got a few. We are investigating.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    HartlepoolLad is on a distinguished road

Default I received spam too!

I received spam too!

I have not visited your site or developed with your products since you were on ExtJS.com. I happened to search for your site only last night for the first time in years, to see how ExtJS has progressed...

Today I received about 10 spam emails to my email address with these same download links, apparently originating from your site. I have no idea where they have got my email address from!!