Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gkatz is on a distinguished road

Question time based events for sench touch app

time based events for sench touch app

Hi all;
    I am trying to figure out the best way for me to add scheduler like functionality (not a calendar) to an app. I am looking for a cron tab like functionality. what I need is for my app to behave as if it 'taps' to the phone's clock and, for example, send an alert to the user every hour.
    my app also uses phonegap so I guess I can send notifications through it but whats the proper way to implement the scheduler part?
    I dont mind going native (phonegap) or sencha for this task.
    all suggestions are welcomed!
    thanks.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I would create a class that uses setInterval to check every minute... If you are wanting it to be an hour since the app starts then set the start time and check to see if the difference is an hour. If you are wanting it on the hour, check to see if the time is on the hour.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gkatz is on a distinguished road

thanks!
    do you think a check every minute could have an impact on application performance and responsiveness?
    also, architecturally would this be a good place to use web workers? (i guess its not yet widely supported but just form the architecture point of view)

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by gkatz View Post
    thanks!
    do you think a check every minute could have an impact on application performance and responsiveness?
    also, architecturally would this be a good place to use web workers? (i guess its not yet widely supported but just form the architecture point of view)
    The code will likely be so small that it won't impact anything... it will just be a couple lines of code.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    hjeDK is on a distinguished road

the setInterval method doesn't seem to appear in Sencha Touch 2.
    Where do I find an equivalent?

Vote Rating

setInterval is native JavaScript so you can use it with or without sencha touch.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    hjeDK is on a distinguished road

I'm using this setInterval() to set up periodic updates of data from a store.
    What event could I listen to in order for it to be started?
    Obviously as soon as possible. I've tried to put it in the controller launch function but that is executed before my store is ready.

EDIT: I've discovered that setInterval() might not work as expected on Android and iPhone. That diverted me to using DelayedTask as in this thread.

Vote Rating

launch method is the last method that gets fired. The store should already be created.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Jatin Dora is on a distinguished road

Hi,
    I want to generate a timer in decresing order that is to be shown on the view.
    I am able to generate a timer but the problem i am getting is i am getting a error msg at the console of a browser.
    TypeError: 'undefined' is not a function (evaluating 'this.delay(1000)')

While the timer is running error msg is also running along with it.
    i have the follwing code
    var min = 59;
    var sec = 60;

var task = Ext.create('Ext.util.DelayedTask', function() {

console.log(arguments);
    if (sec < 1 && min > 0) {
    min--;
    sec = 60;
    }
    // if(min<1 && sec<2)
    if (min == 0 && sec == 1) {
    task.cancel();