Hybrid View

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    di.mi is on a distinguished road

Wink creating animations for an ebook with sencha

creating animations for an ebook with sencha

Hello everybody,
    I am trying to make animations for an ebook.
    i have just downloaded the trial version of sencha, and would like to ask a few questions:
    1. can i make the entire ebook with this program?
    2. can the animation i create be interactive to touch?
    3. if this program is olnly suitable to make the animations, how do i insert them into the text file? with what program?

thank you for your time.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

What frameworks/products/versions are you using so I can move this to the appropriate forum?
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

the truth is i am new at this.
    my boss asked me to make an ebook for him and he insisted i make one that is compattible with Android, blackberry, iphonand smart phons in general... and that it should be in html5.
    i have very little experiance with html5 and have downloaded your sencha animator trial version (which we will purchase).
    if you could please tell me if i should use sencha animator or sencha touch. and how to start building an interactive ebook with your program, i would be most grateful.
    thank you for your help.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Sencha Animator will help if you need animations in a component, not really transitions which I assume that is what you were expecting. Yes, Sencha Touch will be what you should use as it support iOS, Android 2,3 and BB6,7 all needing touch capabilities.

What kind of layout are you wanting? A Carousel type?

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

i think that a Carousel layout would be great.
    what we initialy thought doing was to creat swf animations and inserting tham into a pdf file. but since flash is "dead" and most smartphons refuse to read it, your program seemes like the best solution for me, as a graphic designer.
    could i do the same thing with the animations that sencha touche makes? or do i have to build the entire text page on sencha touch along with the interactive animations?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

is sencha touch for mac only? or does it have a windows version?
    my boss doesnt use mac.

Vote Rating

You may want to look into Designer 2. In the 2 release, it supports Sencha Touch and will help you get the ball rolling. A Carousel is very easy to set up but each page or card will probably have it's own layout or design and that's where Designer 2 will most likely help you out.

Transitions between cards, we have some built and it's not for the faint of heart to add new ones. Animations within each page or card can be easily done. I usually create some CSS rules to do animations and then just add or remove the CSS names on elements I want to animation. This is where Animator may help you but I would strongly urge you to do a lot of homework on CSS3 animations so you can understand what is going on. The reason I say do it in CSS and not just apply styles within JavaScript as it is more maintainable to do things in CSS than to hunt around in your JS code to change something. Plus, you can reuse CSS code as you can add CSS names onto as many elements as you wish.

Side note, I would urge you to use Sencha Touch 2. We are currently in the developer preview stage and there are some bugs or features missing but the performance of Sencha Touch 2 over Sencha Touch 1 is astronomical.