Success! Looks like we've fixed this one. According to our records the fix was applied for TOUCH-1119 in a recent build.
    Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mysterydiner is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Tab Switching performance seriously slow

Tab Switching performance seriously slow

REQUIRED INFORMATION

Ext version tested:
    • Sencha Touch 2 (PR1 & PR2)
    Browser versions tested against:
    • Chrome Latest
    • IOS 5 Ipad
    Description:
    • Tab Switching is seriously slow in supplied test case. Even on my I7 monster workstation running chrome on windows 7 this takes around 5 seconds. IOS 5 even longer
    Steps to reproduce the problem:

RUN THE SUPPLIED TEST CASE. Switch between two tabs - monitor performance

The result that was expected:
    • fast response
    The result that occurs instead:
    • browser goes mad doing layout
    Test Case:

test.zip

should run on any server or locally from file system - no back end dependancies.
    Change script urls in index-nocache.html to point to valid sencha touch 2 installation.

HELPFUL INFORMATION
    Screenshot or Video:
    • attached
    See this URL for live test case: http://Debugging already done:
    • none
    Possible fix:
    • not provided
    Additional CSS used:
    • only default ext-all.css
    Operating System:
    • IOS 5 0 IPAD 1 & 2_______
    • Windows 7 Pro

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

On a mobile device I don't expect a layout like this to take a while... you have quite a lot going on. Layouts aren't done by JavaScript, it's done using CSS so the actual layout is done by the browser. All we do is create the <div> structure.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Exclamation It really is an issue

It really is an issue

Michael, there's definitely something wrong here. on my vey very fast i7 desktop running chrome this takes five seconds. more like 15 seconds on an iPad 2 - even with animation disabled!

I don't feel this is fair to blame this on CSS out of hand without actually looking into it detail. there's only about 40 objects on the page. it's not like its a massive page.

if you want to make the jump to a feasible Platform for tablet dev as well as phone your going to have to deal with cases like this I'm afraid. quite frankly the performance on this example is very very poor and it's embarrassing me in front of a client.

sorry if I sound a little hot under the collar but I was quite taken a back by the dismissive ness of the reply.

Best Regards Tom

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Not to piss you off or anything, we are still in PR stages with PR3 coming next week. So not everything is flushed out
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Wink Rock on PR3

Rock on PR3

Thanks Michael,
    Totally understand that this is a tech preview and that we're all on a bit of a journey.
    Just to reassure you, apart from this one issue my ipad app is kicking ass on PR2.
    It's not due to go live till feb so I have the luxury of being able to surf on the bleeding edge for a while.
    Hopefully the risk will pay off.

I'm under a little bit of pressure from the project that some of the app feels clunky because of this tab switching issue so all I need from you guys is to accept the bug report as an issue that will be dealt with.

also I'm a noob as far as the intricacies of the website layout engine are concerned. so any pointers on how to optimise this layout to help the layout engine would be very valuable even if it means some compromises on my part. I've watched the perfomance opts videos and tried to apply that learning to this situation without any success.

I'm sure you can appreciate that 15 seconds of layout processing on a fast ipad 2 for even a complex layout is excessive. not to mention that this brings my very very fast desktop to its knees for 5 seconds.

Also popping up a loading mask for up to 4 seconds would be acceptable for us in production but I cannot seem to do this in the show event of the panel. Maybe I need to attach to some other events?

Regards

Tom

Vote Rating
    Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the example, we'll check it out.

Sencha Inc

Jamie Avins

@jamieavins

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Exclamation Performance still Poor with PR3

Performance still Poor with PR3

BUMP!.......
    FYI Performance is still as poor with PR3 for this test/bug.

Sencha - Sencha Touch Dev Team rdougan's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    rdougan will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately because you are using so many layouts, components, and elements on one page, it just brings the browser to a halt. EVen if you were to create this in a native application, you would come across a similar issue.

ST uses 100% CSS for all of its layout, so there are two limitations of browsers we cannot overcome:

1. Using so many CSS flex boxes (we use this for hbox and vbox layouts) will easily slow down even modern browsers (as you found out). I counted ~17 in your application, which even in a complicated application or website, is a lot (for one `page`).
    2. The more components you use, the higher the DOM and memory usage is. We've put a huge amount of effort into ST2 to make sure that component instantiation is as fast as possible out of the box, so developers don't have to worry about it so much. But, you have to remember that each component you use has a template, and all those DOM nodes need to be added into the document body. I counted ~70 components on your "View Case" card, which along with the amount of layouts is.. incredible!

So if there isn't much we can do about it, how do you improve performance?

1. Try and cut down on the number of components per view; and by view, I mean, visible at any one time. This will drastically help.
    2. If you cannot do the above, or at least can't do it much, you will need to start writing your own custom components. From looking at your example, one which would help would be for the checkbox panels (where you are inserting 8 checkbook fields in one panel). In this case, you could create a custom component which has a custom template which includes all 8 `<input type="checkbox" />` fields. That would mean that this block of elements would be all inserted at once into the DOM. It would also mean you would cut down on all the extra DOM needed for all those layouts in just that one panel.
    3. And like you mentioned, some kind of mask. You could do this by adding a mask to the tab panel before you change the active card. I'm not sure if the events are working for this in PR3, but you'd listen to the `activeitemchange` event.

Hopefully this will help you on your quest for smoothness.
    Sencha Inc.
    Robert Dougan - @rdougan
    Sencha Touch 2 and Ext JS 4 Core Team Member, SASS/Theming Wizard.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful and constructive.
    I've done as suggested and it has solved my problem.
    FYI it seems to be the checkboxe compenents that really exacerbate this problem.
    It may be well worth looking into the performance of these.
    I have copied most of the styles from the sencha checkbox components in my custom component and removed some extraneous flex attributes and the performance is much better.

Thanks again.