Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    zrednaz is on a distinguished road

Default Difficulty getting started

Difficulty getting started

Hi,

I'm currently trying to learn Sencha Touch. My programming experience includes primarily Java (native Android development) and development for Windows in C#/WPF. I've also coded some PHP and Perl.

Normally when I decide to learn a new programming language or framework, I pick up a book and start reading, testing the examples as I go. About a week later, things eventually start to click, and I can start coding on my own. However, after a week of studying Sencha Touch, I can't exactly say that things are starting to click yet; learning JavaScript and the Sencha Touch framework at the same time is turning out to be a significant learning curve for me.

Here's what I've read so far:
    - Some chapters in a book on general JavaScript as in introduction to the lanauge.
    - Sencha Touch in Action (what's currently available of it)
    - Some tutorials on this site

I guess at this point I understand bits and pieces of the framework, but I would benefit from a complete, running example using the MVC practice, preferably with well-commented code. For starters, my app will let users log in a view a list of products owned by them, the data being provided by a REST/JSON web service. Are there any examples like this?

Also, do you think I am better off learning Sencha Touch 2 right away, or would I be making life easier on myself by starting with Sencha Touch 1?

Any other tips for me to get started?

Thanks in advance!

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of examples that use MVC that are provided in the downloaded zip. Sencha Touch in Action, last MEAP I got, isn't for Sencha Touch 2... it looked very much like what Jay had written for Sencha Touch 1 before I told him that ST2 was too close to write a book for ST1.

Learning Sencha Touch 1 won't really help you understand Sencha Touch 2. There are quite a lot of differences between the two versions so I would just go with Sencha Touch 2 straight away. In teh API docs, there are a few guides and that will grow as time goes on. There is also a Learn section of this site (look at the top) and tutorials for Sencha Touch 2 will be coming... as time goes on. Past that, use this forum as ST2 is regularly patrolled by myself and community members.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Thread Participants: 1