View Poll Results: Any interest in an upgrade of Ext.nd that was based on ExtJS 4.x?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 97.14%
  • No

1 2.86%
    Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about

+1 for Ext.nd
    and
    +1 for Ext.nd based on ExtJS 4.1 code stream

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Bob Wilson is on a distinguished road

Default YES YES YES !

YES YES YES !

Ext 4.1 is fine... and even future releases if necessary.
    Can't wait for it !

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    sluboch is on a distinguished road

Default Where is the documentation of classess/methods for ext.nd?

Where is the documentation of classess/methods for ext.nd?

Where is the documentation of classess/methods for ext.nd? I can't find it anywhere. Help please.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default ext.nd is not any anymore

ext.nd is not any anymore

Hello sluboch,

This post was originaly intended to check the interest for ext.nd, but, unfortunately, with a great "29 answers", I think we can forget the product definitely...
    The product has no real support, is not finished, and not maintained. Use it at your own risks...

I've started using the product in 2009, betting for a bright future but... it seems that the Domino community is getting thinner and thinner : does IBM realize how its ***ty marketing & pricing is killing their wonderful server ?

Jack has made a really great job, though.
    Maybe we could just hope, now, to have a "view-only" ext.nd product with Ext 4.1 ?
    Most of us are more often interested in the "on-the-fly view conversion" - which was a marvelous feature.

<RANT>
    Wonder *why* IBM is not packaging such a system in the box... He ho, IBM guys... Are you here ? Don't you see your XPages are ALREADY dead before the beginning => coding XPage is like putting small pieces of ultra-proprietary code *everywhere* in the application.This is just unmaintainable. Can't you see that ?
    Is it SO difficult to produce a built-in usable web-view, with sorting, searching, paging, and grouping ?
    He hooooo, is there somebody in there ?
    Pfffff
    </RANT>

So, my today's advices :

- please, IBM dev team : have a look around... Leave your deep cave and come out to see the fresh air which is coming with Sencha...
    Xpage can't live for long in front of fast developping client-side framework like Ext...
    Your OneUI is uggly, and light years behind other UI frameworks. What is the damn point ???
    Go on developping your great back-end (domino) and focus on what the dev need : usable widgets, and, most notably, usable web-views (I can't believe this horrible applet is still alive in 2012).
    Oh, one more suggest, mister IBM : BUY A SENCHA LICENCE AND HAVE A LOOK AT THEIR GRIDS !!!

- and to finish this loooon post... please, Jack... we don't ask anymore for a full ext.nd, too long to develop but... can we hope a "view-only" Ext.nd product ???
    Or, is there somewhere where we can find / buy a similar on-the-fly view conversion, which really was the killer feature ?

Cheers.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    domino6 is on a distinguished road

Bob, I'm not sure why you are saying "ext.nd is not anymore" but I think this is not helping to motivate Jack starting a new release.

I'm using Ext.nd in multiple projects and I can see the potential every day.

I agree with you that IBM has a problem marketing Lotus Notes/Domino (and they always had) but the product has still a large user base and as the saying goes: “The condemned live longer!”

I can see a huge potential for Ext.nd especially in those companies that are trying to move away from the "condemned" Lotus Notes client.
    The mail might have already been moved to another platform but they still have large numbers of Lotus Notes applications and thus still have to deploy Lotus Notes clients to their users.

Replacing Lotus Notes apps with other products and technologies is often too expensive given the benefit of it. In companies that have large Lotus Notes applications we are talking about multiple millions of $.

In this situation, having a product that helps you transforming a Lotus Notes application into a web application in a cost effective way and based on a great framework is very, very attractive.

And later, once they have an Ext frontend, they can still consider changing the backend. In my experience they usually won’t because they don't care what server the app is running on.
    All they want in the first place is getting away from another client.

All that said I'm NOT for a "view only" version, I wish for full versions based on the latest Ext and touch releases. So please Jack, go, go, go!

And for sluboch, here is the link to the Ext.nd project on openntf.org:
    http://www.openntf.org/internal/home...nt&name=Ext.nd
    The documentation is contained in the downloads.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Good one

Good one

Hi domino6.

I have to agree with you on many points.
    My request for a view-only component makes the project smaller, and then, possible.

Having a full Ext.nd product would be, of course, much better, but according to the poor popularity of this post, it seems that the effort will not be rewarded with good sales.

Jack didn't even come here for a while to give us news about the status of an hyptothetic new Ext.nd version.
    I guess he probably has dozens of other projects to manage.

So, I have only one dream, now : MAY JACK CAN HERE YOU and your very good arguments !!!

Sencha - Services Team
    Vote Rating
    jratcliff is on a distinguished road

I hear ya! I'm trying to work more on things now. Having trouble though with dominodeveloper.net. Does anyone have any other recommendations for Domino Hosting?
    Jack Ratcliff
    Sencha Inc, Green bleeding Senchan

How to report a bug:
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...o-report-a-bug

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Default Domino hosting

Domino hosting

Hi Jack,

Glad to see you back, even if I tell a lot of bad things about ext.nd when you are not here.

And don't forget : if you don't have time for a complete ext.nd product, a complete working "view" component will do a lot

As far hosting is concerned, it depends if you're searching something free or not.
    For free hosting, I don't have any advices...

For paid hosting, I've encountered that it's often cheaper to rent your own dedicated server than to use "domino packaged hosting".

We can find very cheap servers on the market now. Mine was 14.99€/month with 2Go of RAM + 1To of disk + 100Mo of backup (I use this provider : http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/ which is a sub-company of one of the biggest european hoster : OVH)

The main advantage is that if you required more CPU, more RAM or more Disk, you press a button, give your credit card number, and that's it :-) It's more flexible that traditional mutualized hosting.

Of course, this is my point of view only...

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    domino6 is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear from you, Jack!

What's your problem with dominodeveloper.net?
    What do you need?

Sencha - Services Team
    Vote Rating
    jratcliff is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by domino6 View Post
    Nice to hear from you, Jack!

What's your problem with dominodeveloper.net?
    What do you need?
    They are not responding to me. Last week when I was going to push some Ext.nd changes up to the server I noticed that the extnd db didn't load (http://jackratcliff.com/jratcliff/ex...tnd_trunk.nsf/). So looking at firebug I saw I was getting a Lotus Notes Exception error when the Session.js agent tried to run.

Here's the error:

Code:
    The Address Book does not contain a cross certificate capable of validating the public key.
    So I logged onto the dominodeveloper.net site to post a support ticket back on 6/28. I've replied to that ticket and even posted another ticket asking if anyone still worked there and still no response. I emailed their support@dominodeveloper.net account but got a reply to use the support portal. I even emailed their sales@dominodeveloper.net account and still nothing.

So, if they don't respond and fix my issue, I guess what I am needing is to find a new place to host my blog and Ext.nd. I'm trying to get everything started back (the blog and Ext.nd). I guess I can start blogging somewhere else but it would be nice to have a Domino server to showcase Ext.nd.
    Jack Ratcliff
    Sencha Inc, Green bleeding Senchan

How to report a bug:
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...o-report-a-bug