Vote Rating
    dawesi has a spectacular aura about dawesi has a spectacular aura about

Question Are you allowed to sell items that contain snippets of Sencha code within them?

Are you allowed to sell items that contain snippets of Sencha code within them?

As a lot of extensions/etc have Sencha code within them (aka extending current functionality with a slight re-write), will there be a licence extension granted to sell/distribute such items?
    Teahouse Training Company
    Official Certified Sencha Trainer

Australia / New Zealand / Singapore / Hong Kong & APAC

SenchaWorld.com - Sencha webinars, videos, etc
    SenchaForge.org - (coming soon)
    TeahouseHQ.com - Sencha ecosystem training portal

Code Validation : JSLint | JSONLint | JSONPLint

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this question would be better directed towards licensing@sencha.com . I personally doubt it but I am in no part part of that decision, just my best guess.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

Good luck writing a custom component/extension with 0 lines of sencha code/overrides in it

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

definitely nothing easy to deside and where to set the limits.
    if you would be forbidden to use sencha based methods, then you would create pure js widgets and no sencha addons / ux.

it should also depend on how much (in %) sencha code you use. example: you change 2 lines of code in a big module and release it with a version that is not yet made public to non support subscribers. in that case there has to be at least a check if the buyer is the owner of a licence or the developers have to stick to the public versions.

i can not speak for sencha here, but i think there are a lot of points that should be thought through carefully.
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mankz View Post
    Good luck writing a custom component/extension with 0 lines of sencha code/overrides in it
    Not that hard...
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brian.moeskau is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very valid question, and every add-on author will no doubt have the exact same question. There may be some situations that require contacting the licensing dept., but I'm sure that we can provide some general guidelines that most people will be able to follow. I'll make sure that the appropriate people see this question and see if we can get some guidelines put together.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

We're reviewing what the exact guidelines should be for this and will post more info soon.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    nohuhu has a spectacular aura about nohuhu has a spectacular aura about

This problem wouldn't be so pronounced if Ext JS was less monolithic. I have already pointed this out and I am going to repeat it: please consider opening up for collaboration with the community, that would be a win-win situation for everyone.

An example: when I developed my Chart extensions I had to refactor significant chunks of Ext JS Chart code in order to avoid copy/paste of colossal proportions. The result is clean separation of my code from Ext JS code, but also a bunch of buffer classes that contain almost 100% Sencha code. I don't know if I have any rights to release these, but considering that my code doesn't work without it I just have to. Of course I'd love to contribute refactored code back to Ext JS but I have no way to do this presently. This situation bugs me somewhat and I'd like to resolve it. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Alex.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by nohuhu View Post
    This problem wouldn't be so pronounced if Ext JS was less monolithic. I have already pointed this out and I am going to repeat it: please consider opening up for collaboration with the community, that would be a win-win situation for everyone.
    OK, that's a valid discussion to bring up, but we're not going to stop and refactor the Ext JS framework from the ground up in order to deal with how to approach licensing add-ons. And while your suggestions might (arguably) make such licensing less of an issue, it is still an issue that needs to be clarified either way. There will always be overrides of existing code.

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by mankz View Post
    Sometimes you can get this done with interceptor and/or sequence. It's lot of work to prevent overrides though.