[2.0b1][CLOSED] (Bug? Not a bug?) getLeft/setLeft, etc - API oddity

Hi folks,

Consider if you will this code fragment:
    Code:
    var box;
    box = Ext.get("abox");
    box.setLeft(box.getLeft());
    box.setTop(box.getTop());
    ...where "abox" is an absolutely-positioned div with a border. It seems to me that the box should not move; both calls are no-ops. You're telling it to set its left to what it already is, and the same for top.

It doesn't move on non-Gecko browsers like IE, Safari, or Opera; it does move on Firefox (it moves two pixels right and down).

The reason it moves is that getLeft and getTop, by default, return "page coordinates" that are not the same cross-browser, not CSS coordinates, but setLeft and setTop expect CSS coordinates. (See this thread for more on the differences -- I was initially confused, but Brian and Jack sorted me out.)

There are variants of getLeft and getTop that return CSS coordinates, and it's easy to fix that code so it behaves the same on all browsers:
    Code:
    var box;
    box = Ext.get("abox");
    box.setLeft(box.getLeft(true));
    box.setTop(box.getTop(true));
    The "true" for the local parameter to the "get" calls tells them you want CSS coordinates. (setLeft/setTop don't have variants that use the other coordinates, so it has to be the "get" calls that change.)

So here's my point: It seems to me that getLeft and setLeft (and other pairs of apparently-reciprocal methods) should use the same units by default. Either setLeft should use the same non-cross-browser "page" units that getLeft returns if no params are provided, or getLeft should provide cross-browser CSS units when no params are provided. (Personally, I prefer the latter.) With respect, the API seems kinda funky otherwise.

Is this difference intentional? And if so, can I agitate a bit to get it changed so getLeft and getTop return CSS coordinates by default? If you really want the non-cross-browser "page" coordinates, you can use Element.getX, Element.getY, and/or Element.getXY.

Here's the full source of a page to test this behavior yourself; try it in Firefox and then in any non-Gecko browser (Safari, Opera, IE):
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>ExtJS - getLeft / setLeft oddity?</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../../resources/css/ext-all.css" />
    <script type="text/javascript" src="../../adapter/ext/ext-base.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="../../ext-all.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <input type='button' onclick='repositionBox();' value='Reposition Box'>
    <div id='abox' style='position: absolute; left: 50px; top: 50px; width: 100px; height: 50px; border: 2px solid black;'></div>
    </body>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var count = 0;
    Ext.onReady(function() {
       showPos(Ext.get("abox"));
    });
    function repositionBox()
    {
       var box;

box = Ext.get("abox");
       box.setLeft(box.getLeft());   // Add "true" to getLeft to make this a no-op
       box.setTop(box.getTop());  // Add "true" to getTop to make this a no-op
       ++count;
       showPos(box);
    }
    function showPos(box)
    {
       box.update("" + box.getLeft() + "," + box.getTop() + "<br>count = " + count);
    }
    </script>
    </html>
    Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by tjcrowder; 4 Nov 2007 at 1:14 AM. Reason: Restored closed marker
    T.J. Crowder
    tj / crowdersoftware / com

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

This is one of those decisions that was made long ago and hasn't changed to keep backwards compatibility. Instead additional options where added (like the true argument) to allow the set function to have an equivalent getter.
    Jack Slocum
    Ext JS Founder
    Original author of Ext JS 1, 2 & 3.
    Twitter: @jackslocum
    jack@extjs.com

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    tjcrowder is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jack.slocum View Post
    This is one of those decisions that was made long ago and hasn't changed to keep backwards compatibility. Instead additional options where added (like the true argument) to allow the set function to have an equivalent getter.
    Thanks Jack. Given the sweeping changes of 2.0, might this be an opportunity to sort this out? The entry in the "1.1 to 2.0 porting guide" would basically be:

Search for getLeft() with no parameters. Wherever the hit evaluates to Element.getLeft, replace with Element.getX instead. Repeat converting Element.getTop with Element.getY. Subsequently, search for getLeft(true) /getTop(true) and remove the "true" parameter.

Pretty trivial to do as part of a port.
    T.J. Crowder

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Hi again,

Just checking back on the above...

Thanks,
    T.J. Crowder

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Folks,

If this were going to be done, it would be best to do it now during the beta, not later. Since there's been no response (either way) to my recommendation above, I've removed the CLOSED marker on this thread temporarily and am pinging again (I'm guessing people just gloss over the thread when it's marked closed).

Obviously it's up to the core team whether this is worth doing; I'll mark the thread closed again when a response is received (if they don't do it at the same time). As a software engineer with a fair few years of experience both creating and consuming APIs, I do strongly recommend taking this opportunity to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance,
    T.J. Crowder

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brian.moeskau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey TJ, don't take offense. There's lots of stuff going on right now and specific posts can easily get lost in the shuffle. If you haven't heard from Jack in a couple of days, feel free to *bump* again -- no need to justify it

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Hey Brian,

Thanks -- I didn't take offense, sorry if it seemed that way, I just figured people were busy and understandably skipping the "[CLOSED]" thread.
    T.J. Crowder

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by brian.moeskau View Post
    ...If you haven't heard from Jack in a couple of days, feel free to *bump* again...
    *bump*
    T.J. Crowder

Sencha - Community Support Team jsakalos's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future jsakalos has a brilliant future

I'm asking Jack to make decision on this.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thanks!
    T.J. Crowder

film izle

hd film izle

film sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

güzel olan herşey