Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    nbuesing is on a distinguished road

Default cannot compile in debugging mode (-ea)

cannot compile in debugging mode (-ea)

If we compile our application in debugging mode (with -ea) the application no longer works. It compiles just fine, but the application fails to render.

Application with extGWT 2.2.5 and 3.0.0 beta 1 works with normal compile, fail with debugging (-ea). Also, when we remove extGWT completely we can then use -ea again.

I am curious if this is a known/expected issue with extGWT, if this is unique to us, and if anyone has information on this issue.

Thanks.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Do you get any error messages or stack traces? The arg -ea is not for debugging, but for assertions, which are normally disabled in compiled javascript, and normally enabled in debug mode.

If the app isn't drawing correctly, it seems likely that an assertion is being tripped when the page starts - but only in production javascript.

If the stack trace isn't helpful, try compiling with -style PRETTY so the method names and bodies are readable.

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    nbuesing is on a distinguished road

ya, I know it isn't for debugging, but assertions, but since GWT refers to it as debugging even in their description, I sometimes refer to it that way.

The issue we had is that we are using a GWT gradle script that (unknown to me) did -ea by default. After a variety of checks, I realized that it was adding -ea (you have to do debug=false in the gradle script to not call -ea). So, our solution is not to call -ea, since we don't want it in production anyway.

However, it made me wonder if this was a known limitation with extgwt, or something we should investigate. In any case, our work around is not to use -ea.

I had tried pretty mode, but didn't provide me any useful information at the time. However, I may go back and try it again.

Thanks

Thread Participants: 1