Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    noefr is on a distinguished road

Question Start a new project on Sench Touch pre 2? Or start with 1.1.1?

Start a new project on Sench Touch pre 2? Or start with 1.1.1?

Hello,

I'm new with Sencha touch. Do you recommend to start a new project with the pre-version 2, or start with the 1.1.1?

A lot of blog posts is related to the version 1... How the version 2 is different to the version 1.1.1? It's a big step do upgrade an application 1.1.1 to 2?

Thanks

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a bit of differences between Sencha Touch 1 and 2. Performance for Sencha Touch 2 is a lot better than Sencha Touch 1. The class system is a lot more mature and inline with Ext JS 4. MVC implementation in Sencha Touch 2 is (and once complete) will be far greater than Sencha Touch 1. So Sencha Touch 2 is a better framework. The bad part is we are only in developer preview stage so if you need to have an application done in the next month then it may be a wiser idea to stick with Sencha Touch 1. I personally have dropped Sencha Touch 1 for Sencha Touch 2 for my projects. Yes there are bugs but I either create overrides to fix the problem or work on some other piece. PR3 is due out soon and has a lot of bug fixes that are crucial compared to PR2.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    estesbubba will become famous soon enough

Like Mitchell said, if your project's deadline isn't in a month I would start with 2.0. In addition to what he said, learning 2.0 will give a big jump on Ext JS 4 if you're not already using it as the MVC and class system is very similar. I think many of the Ext JS 4 guides also are good for Touch 2 - MVC, classes, and theming using SASS.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Ok, thanks for the responses!

So, I'll start with the pre 2. The project is for 2-3 month. Yet, it's just for a prototype.

There is some date/roadmap for the release of the version 2?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I just try the pre 3 some hours... I really like the framework and how to create classes! It's a great framework!!!

Could someone to response to my question about the roadmap/dates?

Thread Participants: 2