Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mark0978 is infamous around these parts mark0978 is infamous around these parts

Default Proxy.js has Uses where it needs Requires

Proxy.js has Uses where it needs Requires

Because of this line in the constructor:
    Code:
            if (this.model !== undefined && !(this.model instanceof Ext.data.Model)) {
                this.setModel(this.model);
            }
    Ext.data.Model should move from the uses to the requires array, like so:

Code:
    Ext.define('Ext.data.proxy.Proxy', {
        alias: 'proxy.proxy',
        alternateClassName: ['Ext.data.DataProxy', 'Ext.data.Proxy'],
        requires: [
            'Ext.data.reader.Json',
            'Ext.data.writer.Json',
            'Ext.data.Model'
        ],
        uses: [
            'Ext.data.Batch', 
            'Ext.data.Operation', 
            //'Ext.data.Model'
        ],

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Can I get a test case where this is a problem?

Ext.data.Store has Ext.data.Model in the requires so the Ext.data.Model will be required before the proxy is created.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

A Test case is not easily chopped out of my app. Static analysis should show you all you need to know. You can't uses Ext.data.Model in the constructor unless is is defined

Which part of this don't you understand?

Code:
    if (this.model !== undefined && !(this.model instanceof Ext.data.Model))

The && means it will be evaluated if you are going to successfully create your Proxy, and you can't use instanceof on an undefined type.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

But where will a proxy be used without a Store or a Model? It could actually be removed from the uses and have zero effect except save a little framework size.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

It can't be used without the Model which is why the requires is necessary. You pass the Model NAME (as a string) into the Proxy and you error on the isinstanceof 'Ext.data.Model' because Ext.data.Model does not exist because it wasn't required.

Part of this probably plays out because of this issue

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre....js-works.-Why

Which references another bug.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    It could actually be removed from the uses and have zero effect except save a little framework size.
    This would be a mistake as the code base would become harder to understand. Looking at Ext.define, I'd like to know class dependencies even if they are guaranteed to be already loaded.

Vote Rating

Code:
    Ext.define('MyModel', {
        extend : 'Ext.data.Model',

fields : [...],

proxy : {
            type : 'ajax',
        }
    });
    Code:
    Ext.define('MyStore', {
        extend : 'Ext.data.Store',

model : 'SomeModel',

proxy : {
            type : 'ajax',
        }
    });
    There really is no reason to ever Ext.create('Ext.data.proxy.Ajax', {...})

And I said we *could* remove it and it would have no affect, not saying we are going to.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Here is what I'm doing:

Code:
    Ext.define('IHawk.viewer.data.BatchProxy', {
        extend: 'Ext.data.proxy.Ajax',
        model: 'Batch',

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold

What's the problem to move the dependency from uses to requires? This would make the code more readable even if it doesn't fix anything.

Vote Rating
    skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future

In my opinion the requires for a class needs to be correct. Currently it is only used for dynamic loading but who knows what other uses the requires property will have in future, for example in build utilities.

Given the current code I would say that Ext.data.Model needs to be in the requires for a proxy. The argument that proxies are only ever used with stores/models doesn't work for me.

One use case (off the top of my head) would be a singleton proxy instance that is shared between many stores. This may be defined before the store/model is loaded and currently I think that would fail.

I would actually suggest that a better solution to this is to remove the instanceof check and use isModel instead. Something like this maybe:

Code:
    if (this.model && !this.model.isModel)) {
    There's probably a good reason why the original code explicitly checked for undefined rather than truthyness, but you get the idea.

This removes the dependency on Ext.data.Model. However, there's still a dependency on Ext.ModelManager that I think should be explicitly included in the requires.

Thread Participants: 3