Ext User
    Vote Rating
    RyanZec is on a distinguished road

Default General Question

General Question

I do like that polished widgets that extjs provide but have 1 issue. For example, the portal is something i was to try but the only html that is in the page in the them changer. All the other content is directly in the javascript. I like that way that jquery works buy changing the html that si on the page. I reason i think that is better(and correct em if i am wrong) and the browsers can process html faster than javascript. is is possible to do the portal example with all the html in the web page itself and not the javascript files.

Another thing it that i really don't want to be using 2 javascript libraries. Are there any tutorials that would show how to select dom elements and modify css and stuff like that within extjs itself?

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

Ext User
    Vote Rating

it a bit of a deal for me since i use php to generate html and don't want to use php to generate javascript.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brian.moeskau is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because the examples show one thing does not mean that's the only way to do it. You could quite easily render portlets as static HTML in divs then sucks those into Panels/portlets via JS. Pretty much all the major widgets in Ext support rendering components from markup.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Yea, I read ont he DomQuery and CSS stuff, I just really love the way that jquery does its stuff but want to use 1 standard library.

Vote Rating
    johns is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by brian.moeskau View Post
    Pretty much all the major widgets in Ext support rendering components from markup.
    Is this done via Component.applyToMarkup(HtmlElement)?
    If it is, what does a panel consider as "valid" markup? From the docs:

"Apply this component to existing markup that is valid. With this function, no call to render() is required."

I'm sorry I haven't rtfc, but are there id's that I would have to include in my custom markup?
    So, I guess my question is, will any valid html do? That can't be the case right?

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Why not? A Panel may be used as a simple manager for HTML content if it is not being used to house a Layout.

Vote Rating
    johns is on a distinguished road

so there is a catch -- I can't have an accordian layout of Panels inside a container Panel if I've applied custom html to the container.

Wouldn't it be great if that were not the case?

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

How can you have it both ways?

Having a Panel manage a complex layout in which it must size its components exactly really requires that the Panel be in full control of its own content.

If you just throw arbitrary HTML into its body (which there is nothing preventing you from doing, try it!), then all you will do is spoil the nice accordion.

if you want an accordion AND something below it, use a layout:'border'. Put a Panel with layout:'accordion' in the center, and another Panel in the south, and put any old HTML into the south Panel's body.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mxu is on a distinguished road

Arrow

i use a panel for the layout of a defined region for dynamically loaded/dump html content(s) by creating a panel to load the url, so such panels are placeholders for html contents, dynamically destroy/newed. I haven't tried yet but I would like to change the region layout by destroying the panel for that region layout and new it with different layout. is this doable ?

when a panel is first created at panel factory without knowing what html content/js stuffs is to be loaded on it, how can i make such dynamically loaded html contents be self-contained (like iframe) so that all events originated on the page will not go beyond the placeholder panel ? I prefer to do something at panel creation inside panel factory to make sure that html contents to be loaded will act independently of the rest of html main page, is this doable ? if not, what can I do on html contents that are going to be loaded.