Ext JS Premium Member tvanzoelen's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    tvanzoelen has a spectacular aura about tvanzoelen has a spectacular aura about tvanzoelen has a spectacular aura about

ExtJs 4.1 really breaks on every little tiny error. It took me two days to get my loginscreen running.
    Now I see some things working but there are still problems.

For example. Somewhere in my code the hide() function of a button is called before the button is renedered (was possible in Ext js 4.0) then you got the most strange results like splitters not working, menu's broken. Things not related to the button.hide() error.

To get things working you must set firebug on break on every error, follow try catch and just fix every first error you encounter even if you think it isn't an important notification.

Even setting a width on a center region is a complete blow-up.

The use of Chrome developmenttools is useless in this proces, because you can not set that tool that strict as firebug.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    alien3d is on a distinguished road

Default ya like it

ya like it

Ya i'm still in legacy mode 3.4...1 years waiting for extjs 4 to speed process. but hold on first until stable release.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by tvanzoelen View Post
    The use of Chrome developmenttools is useless in this proces, because you can not set that tool that strict as firebug.
    You can set chrome to break on every error: http://code.google.com/chrome/devtoo...#js_exceptions

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gilfeather is on a distinguished road

Default Performance is better

Performance is better

The "upgrade/porting" process is fairly painful. That being said, if you ever get it to run again, performance is better on the older browsers. Our main screen went from 8-9 seconds load time on IE8 down to about 3 seconds. We had seen 4.0.7 load times down in the 6 seconds range but that was quite difficult to accomplish. The start up process had to be carefully managed/tweaked to make sure that rendering and layout happened as late as possible. Small code changes would cause rendering to happen early and then multiple layouts later the screen would finally show up. With 4.1b1 the sensitivity is gone. This performance level appears faster than the 4.1alpha release for our code base. Much of this I believe is attributed to the changes in the field layouts. Although I was somewhat dubious of the switch to tables from divs we were able to eliminate a significant amount of code in layout.component.field.text's sizeBodyContents routine.

The only issue we are seeing is extreme slowness in the setFieldLabel routine (300ms per label x 50+ labels). It seems that the doComponentLayout in that routine is not playing nice. We have worked around that issue for now but will go back and look at it at some point.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    silcreval is on a distinguished road

Same here, I eventually gave up with attempting to get a large app working with 4.1 there were just too many changes required. Layouts were way off, windows appeared blank and non-functional, etc, etc. It is very time consuming to fix these issues, and it takes time away from productive development.

Ext JS Premium Member tvanzoelen's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    tvanzoelen has a spectacular aura about tvanzoelen has a spectacular aura about tvanzoelen has a spectacular aura about

I think the Sencha team should have some examples of large applications at hand. In the development process the small things were working. But if I migrate from version x to y.... with my application (wich is big), I can see in one glance that there are bugs. The Sencha development team should have better test applications at hand.

But changing from 4.07 to 4.1Beta doesn't require much changes. Only finding the bugs was consuming time.
    If the posted bugs are solved for the Beta 2, I think version Extjs4 is nearly there. And indeed the performance of 3.4 is still slightly better than 4.1. But 4.1 could be more stable if the latest bugs are fixed.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Another suggestion for the Sencha team, would be to ensure that Dev team is using a mix of platforms to develop EXTJS.

i.e. The majority of the Dev boxes should be Windows based systems with various browser flavours, rather than just using shiny new Mac's as a primary Dev system.

Having a proper real world mix of systems would have identified the performance issues at the start of the EXTJS dev cycle rather than at the end of it.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    The majority of the Dev boxes should be Windows based systems with various browser flavours, rather than just using shiny new Mac's as a primary Dev system.
    Not going to happen... and I don't blame them. I have an iMac at home and a PC... the iMac is so much easier to use... my kids want another iMac

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    paipai is on a distinguished road

+1

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    Another suggestion for the Sencha team, would be to ensure that Dev team is using a mix of platforms to develop EXTJS.

i.e. The majority of the Dev boxes should be Windows based systems with various browser flavours, rather than just using shiny new Mac's as a primary Dev system.

Having a proper real world mix of systems would have identified the performance issues at the start of the EXTJS dev cycle rather than at the end of it.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    Not going to happen... and I don't blame them. I have an iMac at home and a PC... the iMac is so much easier to use... my kids want another iMac
    I would hope that Sencha didn't take the same view as you. Developing and Testing on a platform that is representative of your target market, is an absolute must and fundamental best practice.