Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mishoboss is on a distinguished road

Default Android 4.0 ICS user experience

Android 4.0 ICS user experience

I write a Sencha 2 app and I test it on Galaxy S with Android 2.3.4. It feels almost perfect. However this happened when tested on Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0.

I didn't expected this behavior from the most powerful phone on the market. Transitions look really awful, but the toggle/slider thumbs displacement when scrolling is even worse.

Somewhere I read that the flickering is probably due to a CPU to GPU passing for render. This seems to be a major problem that can't be controlled. Do you have ideas how to workaround this? I really hope Android 4.0 user experience will be at least as great as Android 2.3 before the Sencha 2.0 GA.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

The flickering, for what we have found is the delay between (as you said) the CPU passing the transitions to the GPU. About the thumbs in the toggle field, this is a known issue and I think we have fixed it for the next release.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    trinitrotoluen is on a distinguished road

I'm facing the same problem too. After install ICS 4.0.3 on my Nexus S, my ST2 app performance becomes very bad, not responsive

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    The flickering, for what we have found is the delay between (as you said) the CPU passing the transitions to the GPU. About the thumbs in the toggle field, this is a known issue and I think we have fixed it for the next release.
    Thank you for this reply. I'm happy the toggle thumb issue is resolved, but I'm a little bit worried about the flickering issue. If it's that you think it is, isn't it going to be a show-stopper?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't really anything we can do, it's how Android handles CSS3 transitions.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Unfortunately I suspected this answer. Is this issue only about CSS animations? If it is, maybe a temporary workaround for the app developers is not to use animations if the device OS is Android 3.0 or 4.0 (as far as I know same issue is presented on Android 3.0).