Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    tewabit is on a distinguished road

Default setting ExtJS 4.1 beta release expectations

setting ExtJS 4.1 beta release expectations

Hello Sencha -
    I know you've been very reluctant to provide any information about release dates. As a client this puts many of us in very difficult situations as we try to communicate with business what expectations are about when we'll be able to release. So - I'm hoping with the beta now being out for a few weeks, you have at least some idea about what the release plan is for finishing up ExtJS 4.1.0. Can you provide any information about what to expect?
    Will there be a beta 2? a beta 3? Or just 4.1.0 will be the next release?
    Can you set any expectation about when the next release will be (beta 2 or final?) - is it 1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month? 3 months?
    There must be some rough idea about what the release road map will be like - we'd be very grateful to have any information about it.

Thanks.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

There will be a beta 2... we don't really do dates much anymore, we have been biten when we have a public date and miss it, that has a backlash.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    tewabit is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response mitchellsimoens.

I would argue that you're experiencing a decent amount of backlash right now for not setting any expectations about dates (regardless of how rough) As a software engineer that needs to provide dates to business - I understand how difficult it is, especially when you're wrong...but I still believe open, early, transparent communication is always better than no communication. Without any dates your clients can only assume the worst (another 6 months?) - damaging your reputation and chances with prospective new clients. Unfortunately just within my software developer community, Sencha's reputation has severely suffered this past year because of the lack of communication...and I'm running out of excuses of why we're continuing to stick with it.
    Anyway - one more plea - is there anyway you can narrow it down at all? Will beta 2 be available in less than a month? less than 3 months? less than 6 months?

Thanks.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brentdooley999 is on a distinguished road

I second this. If you guys were making video games you POSSIBLY could get away with a "you get it when it's done" attitude. But you aren't. You are making tools for businesses. You guys have to realize the we, as developers, have people to answer to. We have clients and bosses who also have their own bosses. We understand you are moving as fast as possible, just as we all are, but "We don't give estimates because we aren't very good at it." is a terrible philosophy.

Vote Rating
    Asken is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by brentdooley999 View Post
    I second this. If you guys were making video games you POSSIBLY could get away with a "you get it when it's done" attitude. But you aren't. You are making tools for businesses. You guys have to realize the we, as developers, have people to answer to. We have clients and bosses who also have their own bosses. We understand you are moving as fast as possible, just as we all are, but "We don't give estimates because we aren't very good at it." is a terrible philosophy.
    third...
    Kristian Ask
    United Nations OPS

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    lagnat is on a distinguished road

This, coupled with the svn debacle is more serious than you (Sencha) may believe. I don't know who else at Sencha reads these forums, so I ended up opening a support ticket to make our feelings known. It may be beneficial for others do the same... or it may not.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    bret is on a distinguished road

I am also eagerly waiting for information about the ExtJS 4.1 release.

Currently we are experiencing problems due to a bug which has been solved in 4.1. Using the beta version I can acknowledge that. Now waiting for information about a release date.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    xxz00 is on a distinguished road

I am also waiting for more information about 4.1 release. Currently we are using 4.1 beta in development since there are two major bugs(Tree Store) in 4.0.7. Our application will go live in April, and I need to know if 4.1 will be available by then.

Thanks a lot!

Vote Rating
    Nom4d3 is on a distinguished road

We just need more builds... We don't need huge packages of bugs fixed. Specially during this beta stage. Maybe a simple weekly release with few stuff fixed would make us much more happy than you think.

I'm saying that because there some bugs on 4.1 beta that I know are internally fixed (at least they are marked as fixed on the forums), but we don't have access to them. And sometimes we have to wait months to see that important piece of code in our hands.

My team is working hard here to move our applications from 2.x and 3.x to 4.x. But sometimes is frustrating spend more time trying to figure out a solution for a bug than coding.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brentdooley999 is on a distinguished road

I would actually prefer weekly builds with less changes to large, monolithic builds. I would assume Sencha's fear is that we might expect too much out of each build and be disappointed. However, we're all developers here. We know what to expect. Just put a list of all fixed bugs in the readme file and let us fend for ourselves.

Sencha, you're always going to have malcontents but it seems like the majority of your users (including myself) only start to get upset when we feel like we're left in the dark.