Success! Looks like we've fixed this one. According to our records the fix was applied for a bug in our system in a recent build.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Konstantin.Scheglov is on a distinguished road

Default Can not use IconButton in UiBinder.

Can not use IconButton in UiBinder.

[ERROR] com.sencha.gxt.widget.core.client.button.IconButton has no default (zero args) constructor. To fix this, you can define a @UiFactory method on the UiBinder's owner, or annotate a constructor of IconButton with @UiConstructor.

May be really @UiConstructor required?

And in any case IconButton looks unfriendly for UiBinder because there are no default constructor.
    Konstantin Scheglov

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Konstantin.Scheglov is on a distinguished road

Any answer?
    Konstantin Scheglov

Vote Rating
    WesleyMoy is on a distinguished road

The reason you're getting this error is, like you said, that IconButton doesn't have a default constructor. We've made no special provisions for IconButton in UiBinder, as it makes a lot of sense to have the icon set up when constructing the IconButton, and this is cumbersome to do in UiBinder anyway.

It's easy enough to use either a UiFactory method or a UiField for IconButton with provided=true. In either case, you will be doing the construction of the IconButton yourself in Java code.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team darrellmeyer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    darrellmeyer is on a distinguished road

We have added a @UiConstructor annotation to IconButton and also added an annotation to IconConfig. Changes are in SVN and will go out in the next release.

Vote Rating
    WesleyMoy is on a distinguished road

This enhancement has been added in the Ext GWT 3.0 Release Candidate. Please upgrade your copy of Ext GWT and try your test case again. While we're confident that we've addressed this issue, please reply if you notice any continued problems after upgrading. Again, thanks for taking the time to report this issue.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    walkerr is on a distinguished road

Old thread I know, but newbie to UiBinder and struggling to figure the right combo of XML syntax to make this work.

Anyone have a short example of usage?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Ok, I sort of got this working - but not sure if it's right approach:

Code:
      <ui:style>
        .l-btn-disconnect { background-image:url(disconnect.gif) !important; }
      </ui:style>   

<ui:with field='discCfg' type='com.sencha.gxt.widget.core.client.button.IconButton.IconConfig'>
          <ui:attributes style="{style.l-btn-disconnect}" overStyle="{style.l-btn-disconnect}" disableStyle="{style.l-btn-disconnect}"/>
      </ui:with>

<button:IconButton config='{discCfg}'/>
    Seems a bit long winded, plus there only seems to be a @UIConstuctor annotation for the full 3 arg constructor and not the simple case where 1 icon should be used for all 3 cases.

Also noticed that the icon appears initially, but on first mousover when the mouse leaves it then disappears and can only be seen when mouseover again.

Maybe I'm missing the point here?

I know one option is to do all the above in Java using a @UiField(provided=true), but that seems to be going against the whole idea of separating layout into templates.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Seems a bit long winded, plus there only seems to be a @UIConstuctor annotation for the full 3 arg constructor and not the simple case where 1 icon should be used for all 3 cases.
    For better or worse, the way UiBinder is designed is that you get one constructor that can be exposed, plus getters and setters. In this case, we could have exposed a simpler constructor and allowed the (optional?) use of the setters to wire up the other settings.

That said, the style cannot be optional, and the hover style *shouldn't* be optional (note that DualListField doesn't have any), and the disabled style is likewise very handy. I'll reopen this issue to make these changes for 3.1.

Also noticed that the icon appears initially, but on first mousover when the mouse leaves it then disappears and can only be seen when mouseover again.
    That definitely doesn't sound right - when the mouse leaves the button the image disappears, and won't return until you hover again? I'm be completely guessing to start speculating without a runnable sample, but will try to assemble something. I'm somewhat concerned about the !important in that style, suggesting that something else is trying to take over the styling there as well, and perhaps is succeeding.

I know one option is to do all the above in Java using a @UiField(provided=true), but that seems to be going against the whole idea of separating layout into templates.
    Again, for better or worse, uibinder is somewhat limited in how complex objects can be built up, by design. For greater reuse, the IconButton/ToolButton uses predefined config objects, though developers often stick all of their configs in a single class like we do in ToolButton, and get access to them all with a ui:import statement:

Code:
      <ui:import field="com.sencha.gxt.widget.core.client.button.ToolButton.*" />

<!-- ... -->
      <button:ToolButton ui:field="portlet1Close" config="{CLOSE}"
    If you just want a clickable icon, using the Tool/Icon button is probably overkill, since that is designed for hover styles, etc - consider just drawing that image as an Image and adding a click handler, or something similar. We generally make the tradeoff in GXT of leaving you room to grow and add complexity at the cost of taking a little longer to get it going in the first place, this situation seems to be a combination of that and the limited flexibility of UiBinder.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Ok, great, thanks for those tips Colin. Will take a look later on today/tomorrow. I have 3.0.6 now, so maybe that will change also.

I'm no CSS expert, and just pasted the URL links from our current CSS file. I think I tried taking the !important out and it made no difference. Will also check that too.

I did wonder if we could just put an Image in there instead, will look at that. I realised that one of the 2 buttons has a disabled state, so the IconButton is actually appropriate. I don't have a "greyed out" disabled image though, maybe there's some CSS magic that can do that automatically for me - will go Google. I definitely see some other buttons on our old panels seem to automatically dim when disabled without is providing an alternate image. Will run up Firebug and see what's going on under the hood to make that happen.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

The attached recreates the vanishing icon case in a trivial standalone example (based on the supplied samples), also without UiBinder to test whether that was a factor.

The leftmost Image works, as does the middle TextButton. The IconButton shows an initial image, but once the first mouse over leaves the area of the button it disappears until the mouse goes over it again.

It could be worked around with an Image I guess, but this really is a button - and in other cases we need things like different disabled styles etc. So we end up adding a ton of code to Image just to make it behave like a button, which seems crazy when there is an existing class that should do this.

On a related note - what's the chance of an "auto" disabled icon i.e. if not supplied, the automatic icon for disabled is a greyed out version of the normal icon. This is very handy when you're not too fussed about the detail! I guess it could get tricky though with UIBinder, since with only 1 UIConstructor allowed we still need to specify the style explicitly. It's very useful to not always have to worry about the disabled styles tho.
    Attached Files