Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is just really nice ssamayoa is just really nice ssamayoa is just really nice ssamayoa is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by markofsine View Post
    It is a great tool, but needs to be utilised in the right context where its strengths (design) are easily taken advantage of. Beyond this you start fighting with the tool and it start impacting workflow... Better to revert to more mature tools at this point (As before eclipse/aptana).
    I'm falling into the same conclusion.

I still think that they should develop Designer as an eclipse or netbeans plugin instead of making their IDE from scratch.

With those IDEs you already have a lot of facilities (server container -http or java-, version control, project management tools, source code editors -including mature JS-, etc.) those that Sencha could take advantage.

Java, as JS, is ubiquitous this days.
    UI: Sencha Architect 3.x / ExtJS 4 & 5
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: Glassfish / WildFly
    Databases: Oracle / DB2 / MySQL / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dougboyd is on a distinguished road

Default Business Validation

Business Validation

Morning All

We use the ExtDesigner for Agile style dev only - my front end guy does screen layout for mockup, I expose the data stores and once layout is complete, we wire it in. We don't require anything fancier than a stand alone GUI - all mid tier and back end code is done with GVIM, all application logic handled in PSQL at the database layer.

From a developer point of view, I support the idea of an Eclipse plug in. But from a business point of view, I can see the point of the stand alone tool - it is an easier licensing model. And if it is capable of what I need it to do, I'll put my sheckles on the counter and upgrade.

This eosoteric conversation is all lovely and good, but I still have an application built with a tool which will no longer open it. If I upgrade (which is my desire), I'll have to reimport everything from scratch, convert each file by hand and build the master file.

Any suggestions, Team Sencha?

Doug

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by dougboyd View Post
    This eosoteric conversation is all lovely and good
    Trust me we have had lots of these internally and have been weighing different options to best accomodate most people and what they need.

but I still have an application built with a tool which will no longer open it. If I upgrade (which is my desire), I'll have to reimport everything from scratch, convert each file by hand and build the master file.

Any suggestions, Team Sencha?
    The project file opens on my development machine (OS X) albeit takes about a minute and a half. I have yet to try on any smaller hardware but we will most certainly be providing some optimizations so that you can get your project open.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dougboyd is on a distinguished road

Thanks Aaron. I've got a new MacMini server down here and will try opening with that - I only need to convert the existing file across to test the stability and from your comments earlier, which I believe is simply doing a Save As into a new folder. Once I get it to that point, I'll test the speed and stability and make my decision.

While you're taking suggestions, I'd really like to see the components and data stores in alpha order. And a way to import data stores from other projects would be nice as well. My current method is using GVIM - works but is a bit clunky.

Shout howdy to the team up there - its a good piece of kit and we use it daily.

Doug

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

I only need to convert the existing file across to test the stability and from your comments earlier, which I believe is simply doing a Save As into a new folder.
    That's correct.

Thanks for the feedback :-) We're trying to make an awesome product for our customers and I hope you like the improvements from 1.x to 2.x.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Sencha - Architect Dev Team Phil.Strong's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice

Based on the designer internal architecture I doubt this is going to be resolved any time soon....
    Apologies we haven't done a round of performance enhancements yet but rest assured we will prior to GA. The internal architecture should allow for a large number of improvements here.

The only real way forward is multiple projects but then sub-projects or object sharing needs to implemented in some form.
    I suspect your right. We need a way to share "libraries" assume well do something similiar to flex, .net, other mature framework

But then the question really becomes is Sencha then building a full development environment as opposed to a designer only...
    Say it! Full development environment, that's where we're headed. Designer (the product name) is poor in this case
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    CaliLuke is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Strong View Post
    Say it! Full development environment, that's where we're headed. Designer (the product name) is poor in this case
    Thank you Phil and rest of dev team for letting every cat out of the bag...

Since we're at it, should we do a poll for the new name too?
    --
    Luca Candela
    twitter: @luckymethod

Sencha - Architect Dev Team Phil.Strong's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice

Also note that for projects w/ 50+ stores. Many times there are ways to optimize now that we have Models. Those 50 stores can become 20. Of course other times you need exactly that many stores no bones about it. Designer can and will support this use case.

We already have some really easy wins in terms of performance tweaks lined up. However the engineering team will be discussing performance as a first class feature tomorrow morning so we can roll out a GA that is usable by teams and projects big and small.
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect