Hybrid View

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    nofx is on a distinguished road

Default global variables

global variables

I'm using Designer 2 to create my sencha 2 app. But now i'm in the need of using a global variable(s).
    Normally i would just create another .js file called globals.js in which i put some global variables, like a url to a wsdl and include that into my index.hmtl.

But i was wondering if Designer 2 offers some kind of abillity to add global variables which can be used throughout my application.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

I would recommend against using truly global variables but I would recommend using application specific variables.

One way you could achieve this would be to go into your Application's launch method and create a global property which can be accessed throughout all of your source.

For example:
    Code:
    MyApp.globals = {
       key: 123,
       key2: 'abc'
    };
    The touch20/yql.xda example does something similar. You can download the sample projects from this link:
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...Download-links
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by aconran View Post
    I would recommend against using truly global variables but I would recommend using application specific variables.

One way you could achieve this would be to go into your Application's launch method and create a global property which can be accessed throughout all of your source.

For example:
    Code:
    MyApp.globals = {
    };
    The touch20/yql.xda example does something similar. You can download the sample projects from this link:
    Thanks, thats working fine.

I do have another problem though. I also need a few 'global' functions. I used to just add functions to my controller which i could just call like:

myApp.controller.Main.backButton();

But in the Designer tool i can only add functions based on events, like; keyUp, onItemTap etc. I can't even approach my controller anymore through "MyApp.controller.Main.backButton()" (that's how it is Ext.defined).

But sometimes i just want to call a custom function. Any idea how i'm able to do that in the Designer tool? Couldn't find the answer for this in the examples.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough

You can add "Basic Function" to Application, Controllers and containers.
    UI: Sencha Architect 3.x / ExtJS 4 & 5
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: Glassfish / WildFly
    Databases: Oracle / DB2 / MySQL / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I just added a basic function, but now i have a new problem. How do i call it?

I created a controller, gave it an "userAlias" and the same "userClassName". Then i added a Basic Function to the controller with a function name.

Now i also have a list of DIVs which i load inside a panel. These DIVs have an "onclick" event which i want to use to call my function.

I tried to call the function like this:

MyApp.controller.TestController.showTest();

And even with the component query:
    Ext.ComponentQuery.query('TestController')[0].showTest();

But both didn't work.. How should this be done from an "onclick" event??

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

If you are within the same class, the syntax is this.showTest()
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brunp is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by aconran View Post

For example:
    Code:
    MyApp.globals = {
    };
    How do you access these global properties from an event such as when you click a button? I think I added the parameters properly? I replaced "MyApp.globals", with the name of my application that I defined --> "<AppName>.globals", and when I try to access it in the js event function, I get an error saying that "<AppName>.globals does not exist.???

Paul