Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    edwardk is on a distinguished road

Default Having issues with the CityBars example - not loading

Having issues with the CityBars example - not loading

Hi - thanks for the video (https://vimeo.com/36420727) I folloed it yesterday with the 90 day trial version of Sencha Designer and tried it on my localhost without success. I'm running Chrome 17.0.963.79 m which I think is the latest version.
    I have a Yelp api key that I made.
    I thought that because I live in a remote area that there might not be enough bars in the google zoom level of 17 so I decreased that to 5 in the hope that it would look over a large area.
    I have checked on Yelp and being in the UK I noticed that the term 'Pubs' is used instead of 'Bars' so I tried that too - no luck.
    Now I've downloaded the example code and tried it out of the box and with the above changes too - no luck.
    I get a screen with 'CityBars' at the top and then nothing else on the screen.
    I've checked the network panel in the Chrome debugger (F12) and it appears to be pinging google maps but not yelp - I'm not sure if I should be seeing any yelp activity?
    From looking around in the debugger I can't see any other errors.
    Any help?
    -->

Sencha - Architect Dev Team Phil.Strong's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice

Be sure you've moved all of the code that's in init (video) into launch function of main controller

Also check to be sure your functions are being called by putting alerts in there
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect
    Sencha Architect Development Team
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Thanks Phil - I'll have a look. I've tried the 'carstore' example and that works a treat (but using json/local data).
    If I highlight the main controller in the Project Inspector (called 'Business' just under 'Controllers') and then go to 'code' and then 'init' there is a some code for getting the location, getting the yelp data and then binding that to the list and showing it.

If I then change to the launch function there is no code in there - both in my code and in the downloaded example. Should I move the init code into the launch function?

I'll try some alerts...
    Thanks
    Ed
    -->

Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice

Yes cut what's in init and paste it in launch
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    PhilMerrell will become famous soon enough

Default Pasted from init to launch but...

Pasted from init to launch but...

I'm experiencing the simliar results. I see the mainNav bar with "CityBars" at the top, and then it looks like the mask is being applied (there's an translucent overlay) but without the "loading..." text.

When I cut and paste the code from init to the launch function of the application, I get a grey screen (possible black translucent) without the mainNav bar at the top.

I really like the Sencha Touch, and Designer products. I really want to invest the time in learning how to use this framework, as I think it is far superior to anything else on the market, but this is the second tutorial I've followed that has been out dated (the other one being Ed Spencer's talk from Senchacon 2011). It's frustrating to spend half a day on a tutorial and have it not work when you've followed the instructions.

Other than the demo not working, this is a good tutorial. I do feel more familiar with the framework, but it is very unsatisfying that it doesn't work.
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Yeah I never got it to work - still working with Sencha Designer 2 on the beta trial and down to 80 ish days. Writing an example that will use a mysql database to provide data via json - more useful for my needs and so far so good... Might post it for critique once I've got a bit further...
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    rojalin@ceptes.com is on a distinguished road

Default Not able to run the sample example in local web server

Not able to run the sample example in local web server

Hi,
    I have exactly followed the CityBar example document,but it is not working for me.Is it necessary to give the yelp userId or whatever there in the example will be fine .
    -->

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by rojalin@ceptes.com View Post
    Is it necessary to give the yelp userId
    Yes you must register for your own yelp key and use that.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    rojalin@ceptes.com is on a distinguished road

Default Yelp registrations help

Yelp registrations help

Hi,
    Thanks for reply,but each time I am trying to register getting the following error

'Oops, Yelp is overworked right now.
    '

Is this possible get the yelp data in other format .Do you have any default yelp API key to use.

Thanks
    -->

Vote Rating

I'd say give it some time and try again. Not sure what's going on w/ Yelp
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect
    -->