Success! Looks like we've fixed this one. According to our records the fix was applied for a bug in our system in a recent build.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    EthiC is on a distinguished road

Default XTemplate bug found [Beta2]

XTemplate bug found [Beta2]

Today I was using XTemplates and stumbled upon a fairly harsh error:
    Code:
    [ERROR] [mockup] - Errors in 'generated://5024447DD15A3A8D9ED11B1F09E77F17/mockup/client/view/NewsTemplate_render_SafeHtml__NewsItem_item___SafeHtmlTemplates.java'
    [ERROR] [mockup] - Line 7: String literal is not properly closed by a double-quote
    I made a very simple html fragment: (named newstemplate.html)
    Code:
    <div>
    <h3>{item.title}</h3>
        <p>
             {item.text}
        </p>
    </div>
    While using this class:
    Code:
    public interface NewsTemplate extends XTemplates {
        @XTemplate(source = "newstemplate.html")
        SafeHtml render(NewsItem item);
    }
    Should work right? But no, it didn't. I copy/pasted the html code in the @XTemplate annotation as following:
    Code:
    public interface NewsTemplate extends XTemplates {
        @XTemplate(value ="<div><p><h3>{item.title}</h3>{item.text}<tpl if='item.moar'><span style='float: right;'><a href=''>Read more</a></span></tpl></p></div>")
        SafeHtml render(NewsItem item);
    }
    And it worked like it should, no problem there.
    So I went back and forth trying to find out what I did wrong in the .html file.
    While being spammed with (similar) errors from maven:
    Code:
    [INFO]       [ERROR] Line 30:  Failed to resolve 'x.mockup.client.view.NewsTemplate_rend
    er_SafeHtml__NewsItem_item___SafeHtmlTemplates' via deferred binding
    [INFO]    [ERROR] Errors in 'C:\Data\Java\WorkspaceGWT\mockup\target\.generated\x\mockup
    \client\view\NewsTemplate_render_SafeHtml__NewsItem_item___SafeHtmlTemplates.java'
    [INFO]       [ERROR] Line 7:  The annotation @SafeHtmlTemplates.Template is disallowed for this loca
    tion
    [INFO]       [ERROR] Line 7:  String literal is not properly closed by a double-quote
    [INFO]       [ERROR] Line 8:  span cannot be resolved to a type
    I took a look at the generated file as indicated by Maven and received something like:
    Code:
    public interface NewsTemplate_render_SafeHtml__NewsItem_item___SafeHtmlTemplates extends com.google.gwt.safehtml.client.SafeHtmlTemplates {
      @Template("<div><h3>{0}</h3><p>
    \n    {1}
    \n    </p></div>")
      SafeHtml render0(java.lang.String arg0, java.lang.String arg1);
    }
    I was directly wondering what the '\n's did there.
    So I stripped my html file to something like:
    Code:
    <div style="border: 1px solid black;">
        <h3>{item.title}</h3>
        <p>{item.text}</p>
    </div>
    and then it did work.
    To finally come to a conclusion, it seems that you can't put any newlines between your tags or they'll be incorrectly parsed to '\n's, causing the template not to work.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for this - we've seen one other report of this, and so far it seems specific to windows users, as on windows, newlines are typically /r/n, not just /n. Can you confirm that you are using Windows, or the developer who wrote that template was?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    EthiC is on a distinguished road

Yes, I'm using Windows

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Great, thanks - we'll update this thread when we have a fix.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating

This fix is in SVN - \r\n newlines shouldn't affect XTemplates any longer.

Vote Rating
    WesleyMoy is on a distinguished road

This fix should now be reflected in beta 4. If you continue to notice any problems with line endings in XTemplate, post a message and I'll follow up with the team.

Thread Participants: 2