Vote Rating
    Trozdol is on a distinguished road

Question Unanswered: CSS Styles Not Overriding Sencha's CSS

Unanswered: CSS Styles Not Overriding Sencha's CSS

So I'm styling a Sench Touch 2 App and I'm having trouble getting my new CSS to override the sencha-touch.css file.

I don't have a problem when there isn't a style already existing in Sencha's CSS.

Here's the order of my file references

Code:
            <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="touch2/resources/css-debug/sencha-touch.css">

<!-- Default CSS -->
            <link rel="stylesheet" href="css-default.css" media="screen">

<!-- Retina only CSS -->
            <link rel="stylesheet" href="css-retina.css" media="only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2)">

<script type="text/javascript" src="touch2/sencha-touch-debug.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="app.js"></script>
    Here's an example of some styling I've been struggling with for buttons in the top toolbar with a custom UI class

Code:
    /* TOOLBAR BUTTON STYLES */

.x-button-mgpToolbarBtn{
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(131,96,2,0.6)), color-stop(99%,rgba(76,50,9,0.6)));
    box-shadow: inset 0 0 .25em #56380c; 
    border: none;
    font-family: 'PacificoRegular';
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    }

.x-button-mgpToolbarBtn .x-button-label{
    color: #dabf98;
    /* If I try to apply label font styles here other than color it doesn't work at all. */
    }

.x-button-pressed.x-button-mgpToolbarBtn{
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(131,96,2,0.6)), color-stop(99%,rgba(76,50,9,0.6)));
    }
    The button text is showing up as bold and the original gray background gradient and color would not be replaced by my new CSS. The only way I can get it to work is be deleting the styles from the sench-touch.css file. I feel like that would be bad practice.

I want to do this properly but I've hit a roadblock.

(I also want to avoid using SASS and Compass for the time being.)

If anyone has any direction that would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Shayne

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Using SASS would be the preferred way. You may need to use the !important flag. If any of the styles are set by JavaScript (inspect the DOM and if the style attribute has styles in it, that usually means JavaScript set that style) then that would trump any CSS.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating

Thanks for the reply, Mitchell.

I have tried the !important flag and that didn't always work for me like in this specific case. Would using SASS give me the ability to trump other styles or does Sencha expect people to alter the sencha-touch.css file then minify it when ready?

I would think that creating a UI class for different elements would allow you to make use of some defaults yet have your own custom classes to use when you want. The best of both worlds I suppose.

I guess I'm fine with removing things from Sencha's file but I feel like that's not what the developers were shooting for. I want to keep everything I can...if that makes sense?

Thanks!

Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Say if Sencha Touch uses the x-list-item and has some styles in it (as it does). If you use the same CSS selector, the styles you specify could overwrite Sencha Touch's.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

What it sounds like you're saying is that if I use the general class of a button I get those styles along with whatever I add to my custom UI class (.x-button-mgpToolbarBtn) AND the styles I've added should override the styles of .x-button?

If that's what you're saying I've had the css written like below in the near past but it didn't make a difference either way.

.x-button.x-button-mgpToolbarBtn{
    font-family: 'PacificoRegular';
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    }

Am I missing something else?

Thanks!

Vote Rating
    ggendre is on a distinguished road

you can also specify an id on your main component.
    This will create a div with this same id in the HTML dom,

Then, there is a chance that if you put this id before your CSS selector, you will override the sencha's default
    Code:
     #myAppId .x-button{
    //this will override sencha .x-button styles 
    }

Answers
    Vote Rating

Using id is not a good idea as you can have collisions real easy.

Vote Rating
    ggendre is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice !

when you talk about collision, you mean : collisions with the id of other components? something else?
    maybe a class or an id on the body is safer ?

Answers
    Vote Rating

If you have two components with the same id, you will loose reference to the older one because of the id collision.

Vote Rating

Yeah. The easiest way to remember is that an ID can only be used once on a page. Usually reserved for things like a logo etc.