Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    jweber will become famous soon enough

Default Unanswered: Notify child of parent's events

Unanswered: Notify child of parent's events

What's a good pattern for notifying a child component when an event happens in a parent component?

For example, I have a subclass of Ext.tab.Panel, which is designed to work with Ext.navigation.Views as children (similar to the iPhone App Store).

I want it to notify one of its child items when the selected tab is re-tapped, so the navigation view can reset to its initial view. But I'd like the child to be responsible for knowing how to reset itself.

It seems like I should have the child listen for an event from the parent. But how would I tell the child to add this event listener?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Each child of a tabpanel (card layout for that matter) will fire an activate method when that view is set active.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

But that won't fire when you re-tap the tab that's already active.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

What on the parent will fire when you do that? You can listen for when the tab instance is tapped on and get the activeitem of the tabpanel but that won't work when the activeitem changes.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Nothing will; that's why I had to create a custom subclass and override some methods, so it would fire an event when a tab was tapped.

My question isn't really meant to be specific to TabPanels, though. I'm wondering more about the general idea of informing a child component of a parent's events.

(Although while we're on the topic of TabPanels, it would be helpful if Ext fired an event when the selected tab was re-tapped.)

Answers
    Vote Rating

You can do it two ways...

Put a listener on the parent and do your action on the child. Or form the child add an event on it's parent and then take action on it.

Thread Participants: 1