Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    neb1 is on a distinguished road

Question About EXT JS syntax

About EXT JS syntax

The company where I'm working wants to start using Ext JS 4 and i want to know how much the syntax changes from one version to another, because while trying to learn ExtJs I've come across some examples and there are many differences between Ext JS 3 and 4. And if this changes are made in every version is not to good for us because it means you have to learn everything from the begining. Thank you in advance!

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by neb1 View Post
    The company where I'm working wants to start using Ext JS 4 and i want to know how much the syntax changes from one version to another, because while trying to learn ExtJs I've come across some examples and there are many differences between Ext JS 3 and 4. And if this changes are made in every version is not to good for us because it means you have to learn everything from the begining. Thank you in advance!
    I worked with Ext since release 3.2... IMO the API is very impressive and improving with each release.

So, be not afraid... the changes are for the better. While you will need to learn more with each release, you will also be more productive.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    neb1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for the quick response LesJ.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gilfeather is on a distinguished road

Default Respectfully disagree

Respectfully disagree

The 4.0 release was a major refactoring of the code. So much so that our 2.0 application had to be mostly rewritten. We do not bother with most minor releases because many require extensive QA on our side and at least 1-2 developer weeks to get running. IMHO, 4.0.7->4.1a1 was very bad. 4.1a1->4.1b1 has also been very bad. At least 9 developer weeks have been spent thus far migrating from 4.0.7 to 4.1b1.and we are still finding things that have changed, bugs, etc. We have not bothered with b2, b3. Depending on how much changes between 4.b1 and 4.1 release we may or may not use 4.1 release and instead just patch 4.1b1.

Yes the performance is better (thank you, thank you!) but there is very little pretense of backwards compatability. Things change without warning, its up to you to figure out what changed, modify your code as necessary. The good news is that there is active development. The bad news is that the transition from a small development team with a strong leader into a development organization has been very rocky. That coupled with some poor design decisions along the way has given rise to a long period of fixes and patches without significant feature enhancement.

Once our current product is finished we are scheduled to review our architecture/toolset decisions before starting any new products. We may continue with ExtJS but at this point it is not certain. YMMV

Vote Rating
    tjstuart is on a distinguished road

Whilst the ExtJS product is very good, backwards compat has been extremely poor since the beginning. Complete nightmare it was moving from ExtJS v1 -> v2. So much so that we have decided not to move beyond v2.3. It would be a herculian effort rewrite our massive code-base for v4 - for seemingly zero benefit. Not a fan of MVC, charts can be built on v2 using Raphael with no problem, etc. 2.3 is the best performer of all the ExtJS's IMO - and in the web app world performance is paramount.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold

Not to argue or anything, but making 4.1 as backwards compatible as possible has been a central concern, especially given the large internal changes to rendering and layout. Current behavior, timing and semantics have been key considerations.

Even so, changes like these cannot be perfect out of the gate. We've cataloged many of the known issues or changes (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...29-API-Changes). Some of those were sadly unavoidable, but some were unintentional.

It is certainly the goal of the beta process to discover such issues as early as possible so that they can be addressed before final release. So if you have encountered compatibility problems, we'd love to hear about them.
    Don Griffin
    Ext JS Development Team Lead

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"