Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    coolestchip is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Can we combine Sencha Touch and jQueryMobile

Unanswered: Can we combine Sencha Touch and jQueryMobile

I know ST 2 is brilliant, but I have a client that wants a jQuery version for WP7, BB5 and below and a Sencha Touch version for all the others (iOS, Android, BB6).
    Do I need to develop completely separate code bases, or can I somehow get jQuery based UI to talk to sencha touch store, models??

Any help is much appreciated.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    landed is on a distinguished road

Cool

You probably can in some respects use both frameworks but the main issue will be performance - and download size. Its not a good idea for many other reasons like namespaces IMO.

In this case I would use JQM only.

I agree that support for more browsers would be a bonus for ST to work towards.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Thanks for a quick reply #landed.
    yes, I second the thought for more browser support definitely.
    Unfortunately jQM is not good with tablets, while sencha is excellent I must agree. (if anyone thinks otherwise, please shout !).

Architecting it the other way, can we have ST based views talk to custom developed Javascript, as one would use with JQM? Will this be any good at all?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    landed is on a distinguished road

Why is JQM bad for tablets - you might mean profiles are not easily made ? Well js is able to handle this.

But both frameworks can leverage custom javascript.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    martincf is on a distinguished road

If this were me, I would probably suggest the customer allow me to write everything using jQuery Mobile if they wanted to reach that many different devices.

There may be functionality missing from various platforms/browsers on the other devices that won't allow you to use parts you want from the Sencha Touch framework. If those platforms were supported or had the functions needed to allow Sencha Touch to work, I'm sure the team would have indicated compatibility with those platforms.

Martin

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    digeridoopoo will become famous soon enough

Default Have u seen wink toolkit?

Have u seen wink toolkit?

Have you seen wink toolkit? Not as easy as sencha touch and the documentation is crap, but worth a look perhaps for your project. I prefer the learning curve of sencha and the support here is amazing of course

:-)

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Yes, wink is certainly interesting. but lack of good documentation..and also patchy on certain OS's makes it out of favor for now..

Thread Participants: 3