Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    predator has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Question sass, compass and teleatlas

sass, compass and teleatlas

what is the big deal about this sass/compass thing.. All I see is a tool that generates css styles. Why do we need to be advised to use it?

Tomorrow a "supersasscompass on rails with active record support and orm" will come up, then what? we should all go ahead and jump into something that just generates css styles?

As long as it not supported by the browsers and it requires compiling to run.. it should not be recommended as it is right now, there are many people out there that will take your advice and invest time and money into learning something that they may not have to..

There is a difference in using library like extjs and learning the syntax of tools like compass.

Dont understand me wrong, I see the idea of tools like compass and how they ease mainly the interoperability between browsers but still I dont see why it should be recommended to developers, we can decide to use or not to use it i think.

Regards

Vote Rating
    burnnat is a jewel in the rough burnnat is a jewel in the rough burnnat is a jewel in the rough burnnat is a jewel in the rough

You're only advised to use it if you need to worry about doing any large amount of custom theming. Otherwise, you should be able to use the default ext-all.css and manually specify whatever minimal CSS overrides you have.

Tomorrow a "supersasscompass on rails with active record support and orm" will come up, then what? we should all go ahead and jump into something that just generates css styles?
    I fail to see your point. Of course better technologies will come in the future, but that's not a reason to avoid using the technologies that are available now. The same argument could be made that a "superjavascript" will come up tomorrow - but that shouldn't stop you from using javascript and ExtJS in the present, if those are the best tools currently available.

I dont see why it should be recommended to developers, we can decide to use or not to use it i think.
    You can decide whether or not you want to; nobody is forcing you to use SASS or Compass. But I don't know how you'd go about creating a theme easily (and maintainably) without using them. Creating a custom theme in straight CSS by hand would be a nightmare.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    predator has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You are right. I was in a bad mood yesterday.. Its true that one can use whatever it feels right to use.

Vote Rating
    vadimv will become famous soon enough vadimv will become famous soon enough

I'm using sass and compas since its beginning in ExtJS, great technology and easy to use for making small cross browsers themes and big ones too. The learning curve is low and the results are worthing, at least when you have to deal with the "greatest one" IE.

If other better then sass and compass will come, obviously will have to switch because the progress never stops .
    Last edited by vadimv; 7 Mar 2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Participants: 2