Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jtiai is on a distinguished road

Default Trees and huge nodes

Trees and huge nodes

Hi,

I might have node that contains tens of thousands child nodes.

I'm trying to figure out how to lazily load node children (infinite scrolling).

I can load all children in one go (like it works currently) but it may take minutes to load such amount of a data (in current tests biggest nodes are ~14MB of json data). So is there way to load them like in grid dynamically?

Another option could be grouping by multiple columns in grid, but I haven't found any solution for that either.

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

I'd have thought coming up with some logical way of grouping these nodes would make the job simpler, that's what I always try and do when given a large amount of data.

If there's really no way you can conceive of doing this I'd argue that the data doesn't really belong in a tree; how do you expect your users to actually use it? Wouldn't a traditional grid be better?

What do your nodes represent, and what actions do your users have to perform on them?
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Leaf nodes represent connectors within devices. They're normally grouped in bundles according to their connection destination.

But in case of clean device it has just bunch of connectors that are not connected to anywhere.

Usually connection happens in some range of connectors.

One thing is that I could artifically split ranges to smaller parts but have to think about it.

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

Without knowing exactly what you mean by connector (hardware, software, association of some kind?) I'd assume they could be categorised or grouped in some way.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I'd assume, since trees and grids have a common base of table (for some reason I've never quite fathomed), I suppose it would technically be possible to do something similar to the infinite grid with it, but you'd probably run into my favourite(!) class NodeInterface, which is about as flexible as a brick!
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mszukajt is on a distinguished road

@jtiai
    It is nice to hear I am not alone with using trees for more than few hundreds of rows . We've prepared tree paging toolbar for that case. You can look on this here: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...lugin-planned&

You can try to use it or just find some hints, I hope. But I do not believe it will work with 4.1 unfortunately! I have not checked that yet.
    It would be nice if you can share your expirience how such data could be well visualized and managed. Maybe we can find some good solution for that together and force that to Sencha team . As you can see I have some problem to convince people to that .

@westy
    I generally agree with you. It is better to use grids when it is possible. But I (my users) found at least few business cases when trees are more intuitive to manage data. It's usually when "natural" data organization is a hierarchy (products definition or categorization, organization or employee hierarchy, etc.)

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Paging is nice option but it doesn't fit very well in my usecase where I actually have two trees open, user selects items from both and does interactions there.

So I'm more interested seamless (infinite) grid like behavior.

Thread Participants: 2