Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    dshookowsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Answered: Centering a panel within a panel

Answered: Centering a panel within a panel

I'm trying to create a layout that has a carousel that swaps reports left to right. Each report has a background image tiled across 95% of the height so as to not obscure the carousel controls. Inside that 95% panel, I'd like to center a panel with a fixed color background horizontally and vertically.

All of this should be based on percentage height/width to support different screens.

I've tried using the following classes / code to lay it out, but it doesn't seem to work with percentage values.

I must be missing something basic. I spent 2 hours trying to figure out why Sencha was automatically adding display: none to my inner panel and now it's refusing to display more than a single line of text, ignoring my height specification.

Code follows

Code:
    .reportBorder {
        background-image: url('my-image.png');
        height: 95% !important; /* stop short of whole page to show carousel buttons */
        width: 100%;
    }
    .report {
       background: #282828;
    }
    Code:
    /**
    * @class Main Main view for tablets. 
     */
    Ext.define('ManagerDashboard.view.tablet.Main', {
                    extend : 'Ext.Container',
                    xtype : 'mainview',

requires : ['Ext.navigation.Bar'],                
                    config : {
                                    fullscreen : true,

layout : {
                                                    type : 'card',
                                                    animation : {
                                                                    type : 'slide',
                                                                    direction : 'left',
                                                                    duration : 250
                                                    },
                                    },

items : [
                                                    {
                                                                    id : 'leftBar',
                                                                    cls: 'black',
                                                                    xtype : 'panel',                                  
                                                                    docked : 'left',
                                                                    width : 100,
                                                                    layout: 'vbox',
                                                                    defaults: {flex: 1},
                                                                    items: [
                                                                                    {
                                                                                                    xtype: 'image',
                                                                                                    src: 'resources/images/logo_w.png',
                                                                                                    cls: ['rotated'],
                                                                                                    height: 50,
                                                                                                    width: 300,
                                                                                                    top: 150,
                                                                                                    left: -110
                                                                                    },

{
                                                                                                    xtype: 'label',
                                                                                                    html: 'Manager Dashboard',
                                                                                                    cls: ['label', 'rotated'],
                                                                                                    top: '50%',
                                                                                                    width: 300,
                                                                                                    left: -110
                                                                                    }
                                                                    ]
                                                    },
                                                    {
                                                                    xtype: 'panel',
                                                                    cls: 'reportBorder',
                                                                    layout: 'hbox',
                                                                    pack: 'center',
                                                                    align: 'center',
                                                                    items: [{               
                                                                                    id: 'Report1',                                                                                      
                                                                                    xtype: 'panel',
                                                                                    cls: 'report',
                                                                                    width: '70%',
                                                                                    height: '70%',
                                                                                    html: 'Report1'
                                                                    }]

}                              
                                    ]
                    }
    });

2. Thanks for the reply. It wasn't quite the answer, but it led me in the right direction.

Because it's an hbox layout, I shouldn't have been specifying the height at all. For some reason, specifying the height caused Sencha to ignore the height and forced it to a single line of text.

I removed the height and width from the component config and specified margin: 5% and width: 90% in the report class. That seems to have settled the centering functionality.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a height and width of 50% then you can set the margin-top and margin-left to half that which is 25%.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Default Solution: Don't specify height

Solution: Don't specify height

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't quite the answer, but it led me in the right direction.

Because it's an hbox layout, I shouldn't have been specifying the height at all. For some reason, specifying the height caused Sencha to ignore the height and forced it to a single line of text.

I removed the height and width from the component config and specified margin: 5% and width: 90% in the report class. That seems to have settled the centering functionality.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using hbox then you can use align and/or pack to center.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

I had both the align and pack set to center, but because I was specifying the height, it wasn't displaying correctly. I also wanted to ensure that there was an adequate margin to see the textured background image.

Thread Participants: 1