Vote Rating
    EPV will become famous soon enough

Default Stay logged in

Stay logged in

I've been thinking about the possibilities of letting a user "stay logged in" in a webbapp.

What do you think is the best practise?

Backend=PHP

Thanks / E

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Setting up a session on the backend and on the frontend have a check to see if the user is already logged in.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating

Thanks,

I'd did a deep dive myself and came up with this:

- Store user and password in localstorage is probably bad though it's readable. ANtother problem is that Apple has moved it to the cache folder.

- Setting a sessioncookie in the backend will do as long as you don't close the browser.

- Using a cookie with a authentication ID (some hashed value based on some user info and a salt) that's stored in the local machine and in the user table is probably the best idea.

To consider:
    - Beware of XSS
    - Let the cookie expire

More ideas?

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

iOS 5 also sets the cookie acceptance setting to disable cookies. I had to resort to sending a session ID to and from my apps to get around this.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

OK, but the cookie acceptance is user defined isn't it?

Regarding the your session solution. Doesn't the session stop when you shut down the browser?

Vote Rating

I didn't feel it a good experience to ask my user to change the cookie setting. If I were to be asked that I wouldn't use the app.

I save the session id in localstorage and store the session in a database on the backend. If the session id doesn't exist in the database then I return a new one and handle that on the front end.

Vote Rating

Sounds like the best solution, thanks!

Thread Participants: 1