Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    worthlutz is on a distinguished road

Default Designer 2 crashes regularly

Designer 2 crashes regularly

It is not consistant but Designer (version 2.0.0 build 337) crashes often.

TypeError: null is not an object.

This message is shown every time Designer 2.0 crashes. No other errors shown.

The application is trashed as extraneous code is inserted but ignored if you select "Ignore".
    "Exit" and "Restart" mean you just loose all changes since the last save.

It may be possible to use the application if you save after every action because when it crashes it is messed up.

I know this is just a Beta but really.

Is anyone else having these errors or is this just me? At the moment I'm thinking I could code something faster by hand.

Worth

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    CaliLuke is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem, FYI. Bear with us, we're doing our best to get things to stabilize the app, we made some pretty big changes lately and it looks like we introduced some bugs.
    --
    Luca Candela
    twitter: @luckymethod

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Seems better today. I don't know if it is the new update or me making less errors. I am at least getting somewhere in my evaluation.I believe that one cause of the crashes is when adding a component as a class and then dragging it to add it as a link(I hope the terminology is correct) it will crash if the useralias and class name is not set.I'm guessing that is what caused my latest crash. I've not tried it again as I do not want to lose anything again.Worth

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Stephan Mercier is on a distinguished road

Same thing here, if you work in the Project inspector or the config panel, it does not crash that much. But if you are working on the wysiwig panel, it crashes when you try to remove components, it crashes when you try to move components. It crashes every 4-5 changes.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Guys, the designer is completely unusable. It crashes all the time (on Windows anyway) with the error explained above.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I've found that the crashes are often when I try to do something invalid. The program should catch the errors but does not. An example is if you add a component as a class then add it to the app as a link. If the class does not have all the correct ore required stuff entered you get the crash.

I've also found that ignoring the crash will leave junk in your files. I added a container and then promoted it to a class. It crashed at some point and left the original name "MyContainer" in the views array. Then when I tried to run the app, the Loader tried to find TheApp.view.MyContainer which did not exist. As you cannot edit the "generated" code, I either had to start over, go to a earlier saved version (I save alot!) or what I ended up doing was add a new container, "MyContainer2", and edit it to rename it to "MyContainer" and then deleted it and it got rid of the extra one in the "generated" code.

In any case I'm enjoying using Designer now that I've spent lots of time using it. It is a steep learning curve for me as I'm learning to use Ext and Touch at the same time. The mistakes I make in Touch or Ext cause Designer to crash so that is slowing my learning down. I expect Designer will be a great tool when all the bugs are exterminated.

Worth Lutz

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

#337 and #341 both had a critical bug that we have since addressed. Please upgrade to today's release of #353.

You should find it much more stable.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I just updated to build 353. I have not worked that much with it yet, but as soon as I tried to delete a component on the screen by right-clicking and select delete and got the same error again (TypeError: 'undefined' is not an object). I tried a few times and it gives me the error every time. So I deleted the component from the Project Inspector instead and it worked out fine. Hopefully you will be able to stabilize this soon because it is very frustrating to use right now.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Stephan -

Please post a separate thread in the bug forums noting the steps to reproduce. Is it a linked instance? What type of component is it? What is the target framework?
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team