Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ycindepalle is on a distinguished road

Default Render EXT JS 4 web application in ipad2

Render EXT JS 4 web application in ipad2

Hi

We are developing an extjs 4 web application for desktop which mainly contains charts and a simple form. Our client had asked us to analyse if this renders properly without a separate IPAD2 application.

we are exploring the feasibility of by applying responsive design principles using HTML5 media queries in EXTJS4.

a) Any thoughts on this feasibility using EXTJS 4
    b) is it possible to apply any framework for any touch events by using EXTJS4 like above.
    c) Do we need to use Sencha touch only for both desktop and IPAD2 applications.

thanks in advance

regards
    Yugandhar

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Ext JS 4 is not supported for mobile devices.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Services Team arthurakay's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by ycindepalle View Post
    a) Any thoughts on this feasibility using EXTJS 4
    b) is it possible to apply any framework for any touch events by using EXTJS4 like above.
    c) Do we need to use Sencha touch only for both desktop and IPAD2 applications.
    I've seen this done before... but beware that it's not the intended use of ExtJS.

a) ExtJS 4 will almost certainly render and "work" on the iPad. However, many of the touch events you expect on a mobile device will not wire correctly into your application.

b) Not that I've seen... but I suppose anything is possible. Again, it's not going to be something supported directly by Sencha

c) Our approach to building apps is that you should design separate desktop (ExtJS) and mobile (Sencha Touch) apps.

I don't want to get into a flame thread about "why this" or "why not that", but I hope my answers explain a bit more about our recommended approach.
    Arthur Kay
    Developer Relations Manager, Sencha Inc.

Twitter | Sencha Chicago User Group

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough joeri is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, I develop apps with both ExtJS and Sencha Touch and I just don't understand sencha's policy. Maybe you need to do a blog post outlining it again, because I just don't understand the logic.

1. ExtJS earns Sencha money, ST doesn't. Tablets are going to displace desktop browsers to a large degree. If sencha doesn't make extjs tablet-friendly, it's going to see revenues drop. Or is sencha going to suddenly start charging for ST? Is it going to gradually deprecate ExtJS? There seems to be no cohesive strategy across ExtJS and ST. It's like the products are developed by different companies.

2. ST struggles to make effective use of the horizontal space of a tablet. It doesn't even have a built-in grid control. Tablet UI is much closer to desktop browser UI than to phone UI. Even though the profiles help the basic controls in ST are not meant for tablet-sized screens. ExtJS is a closer fit, but its controls are too small in the default themes, and there are a few cases where it needs to adapt the UI (e.g. column menu should be activated by long-press instead of dropdown button).

3. ST doesn't run in most desktop browsers, so any app that you need to do on the desktop and on the tablet you have to build twice. Most developers can't afford to do that. Hence most developers build an ExtJS app and mess around with it until it runs "ok" on an ipad. No matter what Sencha says, we simply don't have the choice to build two apps. Either ST must be uplifted so it can be used on the desktop, or ExtJS needs to have a "mobile mode".

Touch Premium Member suzuki1100nz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice

Nice post - I have posted something similar here (Look for a response)

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?191678-Sencha-Product-development

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ycindepalle is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for the useful information. Sencha forums are the best forums I have ever seen to find information and appreciate all the folks who spend their time to help others.

we were in limbo to take a decision on this. we tested our EXTJS application in ipad2 through wi-fi but didnt work properly without touch events also.

We are now clear that we need to find options and educate the customer about 'single' or 'two applications' if they want mobile presence. There are two more customers who are discussing this kind of requirement.

With the buzz on 'cross browser cross device using HTML5' going on everywhere, customers are going to ask for single application to render in different devices (including desktop) thus not only saving cost but also make their presence everywhere quickly.

Not sure if sencha can help to solve this problem in future. Sencha's - EXTJS and ST are very powerful and innovative products. Adding this kind of feature will surely help all.

regards
    Yugandhar

Touch Premium Member suzuki1100nz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice

Its not just 2 applications to be developed.
    Our customers want the desktop app experience on their tablet but they expect a different experience on the mobile due screen real estate.

Simply we are looking down the barrel of coding 3 apps which is cost prohibitive.
    We are considering writing our own extension to EXTJS to make it usable on tablet so we only have to deal with 2 apps.

Touch framework is missing so many features required for desktop on a tablet.
    Doesn't even have basic resize or expand/collapse for containers or fieldsets.

Given the level of extensions required for us to make the Touch framework able to deliver our desktop app on the tablet we are facing the ExtJS challenge on tablet.

Vote Rating
    xjpmauricio is on a distinguished road

Default Same problem here...

Same problem here...

Instead of making sencha touch why didn't you guys just improved ExtJs to work on mobile devices? I'm seeing new approaches to web development using bootstrap+backbone+jquery and they work very well on every kind of devices from desktop to mobile and even on small screens. Of course these libraries do not have all the "bells and whistles" extjs has but anyway, most scenarios in a common business application are very well covered.

Check out this example: http://themes.flatfull.com/todo/profile.html

T
    ry it on every device you can think of.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by xjpmauricio View Post
    Instead of making sencha touch why didn't you guys just improved ExtJs to work on mobile devices? I'm seeing new approaches to web development using bootstrap+backbone+jquery and they work very well on every kind of devices from desktop to mobile and even on small screens. Of course these libraries do not have all the "bells and whistles" extjs has but anyway, most scenarios in a common business application are very well covered.

Check out this example: http://themes.flatfull.com/todo/profile.html

T
    ry it on every device you can think of.
    We are doing both.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    xjpmauricio is on a distinguished road

Will ExtJs5 be responsive?