Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    billtricarico is on a distinguished road

Default Feature Request: Model Generation and more

Feature Request: Model Generation and more

Hello,

(1) I think it would be nice to have an automatic model generator. For example, you build a form panel with all your fields and field IDs, then you add a Model and right click and choose "Generate..." and Designer would scan your project for objects that have TextFields/ComboBoxes/etc and create the model with the field names as the field IDs. By extension, it would be nice to be able to have basic database access that could generate models from database tables.

(2) In the Project Inspector, it would be nice to be able to right click on the colored icons and choose "Add" where appropriate. For exampe, "Add Model" would be great, instead of filtering the toolbox for model, then dragging the model across the canvas and dropping it on the orange Models icon.

(3) Since Designer enforces a specific pattern of building MVC apps, I think it would be good to auto-generate as much skeleton code as possible. If you add a model, then you will most likely need a store. There should be a setting to allow a store to be generated for you and link to the model automatically.

Thanks.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

1) Expect some features like this post 2.0 GA.

2) Take a look at the new quick add feature we added at the top of the inspector.

3) Not so sure I agree with this one.

Thanks for the feedback
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by aconran View Post
    2) Take a look at the new quick add feature we added at the top of the inspector.
    Nice but you still need to D&D controller action, reference and so, would be nice to just click on context menu "Add controller", "Add controller action" and so.

BTW, the + button on "Actions" node in property inspector for controllers seems an unfinished feature. Is more or less the feature billtricario is asking for?

Regards.
    UI: Sencha Architect 3.x / ExtJS 4 & 5
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: Glassfish / WildFly
    Databases: Oracle / DB2 / MySQL / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    billtricarico is on a distinguished road

I agree with ssamayo. That + button on the Property Inspector will help, but adding the "Add Controller Ref" and "Add Controller Action" would be a great addition.

Regarding (3), I still think having a setting in Designer that allows the user to make this decision would be best. If you don't agree with making it the default, that's fine. But hey, the customer is always right.

Thread Participants: 2