Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    yuvalr80 is on a distinguished road

Default Trying to complete the carstore example with Sencha Designer 2

Trying to complete the carstore example with Sencha Designer 2

I am new to Sencha and even JS development (trying to move from Flex).

I am trying to complete the following tutorial:

http://www.sencha.com/learn/build-a-...-and-ext-js-4/

I seem to be lost at "Project export and event handler" stage:
    1. There is no "Project Export" option that I could find in the designer.
    2. I can't edit the code from the designer - it is disabled and marked "read-only" for some reason....

Is there really no way (even in Ext JS desginer 1.x) to add event handling within the designer? Why would I use an external text editor when that's an essential thing any IDE is supposed to provide?

Thanks
    Yuval

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by yuvalr80 View Post
    I am new to Sencha and even JS development (trying to move from Flex).

I am trying to complete the following tutorial:

http://www.sencha.com/learn/build-a-...-and-ext-js-4/
    You are trying to use an Ext Designer 1.2 tutorial for Sencha Designer 2.0. They have drastically different capabilities and Designer 2.0 has a different interface for many tasks.

I seem to be lost at "Project export and event handler" stage:
    1. There is no "Project Export" option that I could find in the designer.
    2. I can't edit the code from the designer - it is disabled and marked "read-only" for some reason....

Is there really no way (even in Ext JS desginer 1.x) to add event handling within the designer? Why would I use an external text editor when that's an essential thing any IDE is supposed to provide?
    In Ext Designer, no there is no way to add event handling. Ext Designer was solely focused on building user interfaces and exporting them to compliment you with development in your own IDE.

In Sencha Designer, you can add event handling via the Events configuration in the bottom right of the Configuration pane. You are still free to use your own IDE to compliment Sencha Designer if you want via overrides files.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Designer 2's documentation is currently in the works.
    http://docs.sencha.com/designer/2-0/...etting_started
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    yuvalr80 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Aaron,

I have successfully completed the car store sample in SD 2.

Few questions / comments:
    1. When I search for a property, in some cases I have to type it in or otherwise I will not see it. This is pretty awkward, as I see no reason why shouldn't properties be always visible.
    2. I know it is still in beta, but in some cases (not sure when) SD2 starts throwing some internal error messages to screen after changing a property. Restarting it worksaround (until next time..).
    3. What if I have a couple of ExtJS and Sencha Touch projects that I would like to share models / stores or even controllers between?
    4. In both SD1 and SD2, what happens if I edit the exported code in notepad for example and then modify my design again? Won't re-exporting/deploying overrun my code? What is the suggested flow for working with SD and code?

And one final question:
    For me, a part of using any UI development framework is its tooling, as it can affect productivity and ease of use tremendously. Therefore, I see Flash Builder as an essential part of Flex development.

Not long ago, Sencha proclaimed itself to be an Adobe (Apache) Flex successor, or at least an alternative, which i'm sure you'll agree is quite a challenge. While I feel that one can do with Sencha many of the things that it is possible to do with Flex, I think that Sencha Designer still has a long way to go to meet the standards set by Flash Builder. My overall user experience compared to FB was somewhat missing. Few examples:
    1. Coding - FB supports suggestions, auto completion and all other common modern IDE (Eclipse) features. I couldn't see most of these in SD2. Working without auto-suggest nowadays is not realistic for me as there are so many options and properties to remember, not to mention me being new to ExtJS/Touch.
    2. Also, there seems to be some slower performance (response) while typing in the code editor. Fairly odd especially when considering that this is just a text editor.
    3. When I delete a component, SD displays an "Are you sure?" question. While this can be seen as a nice feature, when working on real projects this is not only unnecessary but also breaks the natural flow of creativity. A regretting user can always undo - so why bother her with redundant messages?

It is possible that I expect SD to be what it isn't (an IDE rather than merely a UI design tool), but that is the standard I want to see when evaluating any HTML5/JS alternatives to Flex - especially ones that aim to be out there with the giants ;]

I do think that Sencha should consider moving everything into Eclipse. It will provide the same leverage that made FB so great - full integration between design and code with all the IDE capabilities, and will enable you to focus on what you do best.

All this is not to say I don't think SD has a great potential - it's just my 2 cents of feedback.

Yuval

Vote Rating

Thanks Yuval, you have lots of great comments in here. Not all of which I have the time to respond to today. We really appreciate your feedback.

1. When I search for a property, in some cases I have to type it in or otherwise I will not see it. This is pretty awkward, as I see no reason why shouldn't properties be always visible.
    This is by design. If you prefer to see all configurations all the time, turn on advanced mode. The little toggle at the top right of the config pane.

Basic vs Advanced - Basic will show only the most commonly used configurations. Advanced will show everything. Any time you search for something it will automatically search from the advanced list.

2. I know it is still in beta, but in some cases (not sure when) SD2 starts throwing some internal error messages to screen after changing a property. Restarting it worksaround (until next time..).
    Please report any bugs that you find like this in the bug forum.

3. What if I have a couple of ExtJS and Sencha Touch projects that I would like to share models / stores or even controllers between?
    This isn't possible yet but it's on our list.

4. In both SD1 and SD2, what happens if I edit the exported code in notepad for example and then modify my design again? Won't re-exporting/deploying overrun my code? What is the suggested flow for working with SD and code?
    You should be using overrides. We treat overrides simply as text when reading/writing from out of the designer. This allows you to use whatever IDE you choose.

It is possible that I expect SD to be what it isn't (an IDE rather than merely a UI design tool),
    Sencha Designer is aimed to be an application builder allowing you to rapidly put together your UI, setup event handlers, etc. We know that people are very attached their own IDE's and we want to allow them to use their own environment for that purpose if they want. That being said, we will be working on many more features for the code editor that I think you will like.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Thread Participants: 1