Touch Premium Member jeffcrilly's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jeffcrilly is on a distinguished road

Default Forum for discussing tips/tricks/etc for _automated_testing_ of ext-js apps?

Forum for discussing tips/tricks/etc for _automated_testing_ of ext-js apps?

How about a forum focused on the issues around automated testing of ext-js apps?

This would be a place where folks can share their experiences w/ Selenium, Jasmine, etc.

...and a good place to identify known hurdles, workarounds, etc.

thoughts?

(Here's why i ask... i'm helping a team now w/ selenium testing, and we're running into issues where the ext-js app _is_ using IDs for the components, but these do not appear in the rendered dom. Specific current issue is TabPanel tabs. Anyhow... i'm digging into ~why~ the ID value is missing from the markup.. but it would be useful if there was a place to find (and more importantly record, share, and discuss) known issues w/ automated testing.)

Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

Selenium + Ext JS is quite painful if you ask me. Give Siesta a go? Think you'll like it

Vote Rating

Yes.. I've seen Siesta in the past, and looked into it recently.

Afaict, Siesta doesnt ~quite~ match our use-case: Basically we need to run regression tests against a built-application. I.e. the application is running on a webserver, with a URL endpoint that the test system will be accessing. Otoh, it seems Siesta is more of a "unit test" harness where one includes the applications JS code w/in the Siesta harness. This sorta implies a "different build". In any event, we've got some investment in Selenium, and a fair amount of the usual "management expectations" that the tried and well understood Selenium should be able to test webapps. (Maybe my take on Siesta is a bit off; let me know -- nonetheless i suspect that's a topic for the Siesta forums.)

Fwiw, i'm not on the automation side... but we on the dev side do need to deliver a testable app. (I've previously been on receiving end of test-automation-engineer complaints w.r.t. automating ext-js tests... and i know it is surmountable, but yes sometimes a bit difficult.) Fwiw, we've got a fairly ~simple~ application.. the usual.. tab-panels, grids, forms, and a few editable property grids.

So, "forum"? or a sticky thread for the topic?

thx again.

Vote Rating

So... for the how-to-locate-tabs-in-a-tab-panel, i think we will need to go with adding a fake class to the element. E.g.

After the callParent() call in viewport..
    PHP Code:
            me.callParent();
            var 
    customerTabPanel me.query('#customer-tab-panel')[0];

customerTabPanel.tab.addCls('test-customer-tab-panel'); 
    'test-customer-tab-panel' gets added as a class to the <div> that wraps the button that is the tab-panel "tab".

-jeff

Sencha - Community Support Team SamuraiJack1's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    SamuraiJack1 will become famous soon enough

Siesta certainly supports testing already built application, loaded from some URL - with the "hostPageUrl" option: http://bryntum.com/products/siesta/docs/#!/api/Siesta.Harness.Browser-cfg-hostPageUrl

Also when writing Siesta test you will be staying in the same abstraction layer as you app - ExtJS classes / instances. Compare to Selenium where you are on DOM level.

Vote Rating

Also when writing Siesta test you will be staying in the same abstraction layer as you app - ExtJS classes / instances. Compare to Selenium where you are on DOM level.
    Right. However the QE engineers know dom. The do not know the ExtJS API very well (if at all).

Btw, this brings up another question.. If the QE engineer is using Siesta for writing automated tests, and essentially using Ext-JS classes, then technically don't the QE engineers also need an Ext-JS license?

Siesta looks fantastic; i'm going to give it a whirl on my next project. (I'm just not clear if its the ~~right fit~~ for our current use-case & process.)

Vote Rating