Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    WEBcast is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: How to enable text selection for Container/Component?

Unanswered: How to enable text selection for Container/Component?

Hi,

I need to enable, for a container, text selection in Sencha Touch 2.

I was trying to add the style "-webkit-user-select: text; -webkit-touch-callout: default;" but didn't work.

I'm suspecting the tap event is blocked or something like that...

I don't want to use a input text because is popping up the keyboard.

Anyone has any idea how can I be able to tap in a container and to select the text?

Thanks.
    Track your car expenses, get cheapest prices for fuel and avoid traffic jams in Austria
    http://auto.wien.ro/

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Sencha Touch doesn't support text selection currently. This is due to some events being captured also in a scrollable container text selection would not give a good user experience.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    WEBcast is on a distinguished road

mitchellsimoens, I'm agree with you, in a scrollable container text... but having the option to disable scrolling I'm sure there is a way to bubble/propagate the tap event and to enable text selection.

If in the current framework there is no option to enable the text selection it should be implemented because some times user needs are different from original design and you should not constrain the user.

What I want to know is what function I should overwrite to propagate the tap event for selection

On Ext.viewport.Default I was trying to configure isInputRegex with a custom html tag "selectable" but this trick didn't work.

Code:
    isInputRegex: /^(input|textarea|select|a|selectable)$/i,
    and to have a container with

Code:
    html: "<selectable style='-webkit-user-select: text; -webkit-touch-callout: default;'>Let me select this on tap</selectable>"
    I'm sure there are ways to do it and at the end I will enable this but I want to do It as clean is possible, with less possible hacks into framework.

Thanks.
    Track your car expenses, get cheapest prices for fuel and avoid traffic jams in Austria
    http://auto.wien.ro/

Vote Rating
    Surinder singh is on a distinguished road

Default we can make -webkit-user-select working in this way

we can make -webkit-user-select working in this way

Thanks WEBcast, you have given me a direction, and here it is how it works for me

add the css, then add the "userSelectable" class on element/div/component

Code:
    .userSelectable *{-webkit-user-select:text !important;}

then add this override before building the application

Code:
    Ext.override(Ext.viewport.Default, {
        doPreventZooming: function(e) {
            // Don't prevent right mouse event
            if ('button' in e && e.button !== 0) {
                return;
            }

var target = e.target;
            //_dir(window.getComputedStyle(target, null).webkitUserSelect)
            var webkitUserSelect = window.getComputedStyle(target, null).webkitUserSelect;
            if (target && target.nodeType === 1 && !this.isInputRegex.test(target.tagName) && webkitUserSelect=='none') {
                e.preventDefault();
            }
        }         
    });
    very soon you will see a working sample on our site (on Sencha Theme builder ) , where we are showing our extensions with sample code.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gypsie is on a distinguished road

MUCH appreciated. Worked like charm. And absolutely agree with you that this should be built-in option within Sencha Touch. There should be config for textfield called selectable: true,.

thanks for posting!