You found a bug! We've classified it as EXTGWT-1850 . We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Vote Rating
    PhiLho is on a distinguished road

Default Non standard grid selection

Non standard grid selection

In most GUI toolkits I could try (Windows, Swing, Qt, GTK+...), except, I admit, SWT (strangely), the list / grid component has a quite uniform behavior with regard to selection.
    Classical: click on a line to select it, shift-click on another to select between the two (included).
    Additional: Ctrl+click on rows to toggle their selected state.
    Less known: Ctrl+click on a row, then Ctrl+Shift+click on another to add the new range to the existing selection.
    Here, exact behavior change between toolkits: in Windows Explorer and any native Windows list component, this still act as a toggle (which is the most useful): if you Ctrl+click in the middle of a selection, then Ctrl+Shift+click below, still in the selection, the defined range is unselected (except the last clicked row). In most other toolkits, it just add to the selection (ie. does nothing).

You can see this behavior, for example, in the Advanced Search of this forum, in the list of forum sections, the list acts this way (at least in Firefox, which uses its own toolkit, I think).

The GXT 3 Grid doesn't act like this... Ctrl+Shift+click just toggle the row, like a simple Ctrl+click. So I open this bug / change request to improve the grid and allow such handy range selection shortcut.

Thanks.

Software Architect
    Vote Rating
    sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light

Its even more complex than this. Some actions act already on a mousedown, while others require the full click.

Vote Rating
    WesleyMoy is on a distinguished road

I've filed a ticket against the team to review the semantics of modifier keys and grid selection. This is something that deserves consideration. With the bugs that remain in the push toward 3.0, there may be some time before the appropriate discussion can take place, but I'll update this thread with any changes we make.

Vote Rating
    PhiLho is on a distinguished road

except, I admit, SWT (strangely)
    Actually, in Eclipse, lists have the behavior I describe!* It doesn't work for tree siblings, though, that look like a list when there are lot of items, hence my confusion. I would say it is a bug in the tree implementation of SWT...

* Examples: Ctrl+Shift+R -> Open Resource, Ctrl+Shift+T -> Open Type, Ctrl+Shift+E -> Switch to Editor, all these dialogs have multi-selection lists with this behavior.

Thread Participants: 2