Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

Default Grid speed comparison for 4 frameworks

Grid speed comparison for 4 frameworks

http://www.dhtmlx.com/blog/?p=1525

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Would have liked to see them use 4.1.0 as you stated in a comment but oh well.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

I have to agree with their perspective though: you don't use release candidates for benchmarking, only shipping software.

Anyway, why is it that their grid is faster? I thought the v4 grid in ExtJS was supposed to be engineered for better performance?

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

It turns out to be a bad test also. Other frameworks as the number of rows get larger the speed stays pretty flat? Sounds like they are buffering then and the example they have of Ext JS is not a buffering one so of course the performance of Ext JS is going to be so bad.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

I checked their code, and I didn't notice anything about buffered views.

But, it's still relevant, because they just implemented the grid like the Sencha examples recommend. I literally couldn't figure out how to do buffered grid views in ExtJS 4 (I only use v3 professionally) with 15 minutes of browsing the documentation. That's a problem with ExtJS and its documentation, not a problem with the benchmark.

Vote Rating

Have you see the buffered grid example? Basically the example in RC2 loads 5,000 records into the store and between the grid and the store it only shows a certain amount at a time.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I only looked in the API docs, not in the separate examples section. I assumed that the API docs would explain a core feature like buffered views.

Looking at the buffered example, I assume that the buffered view is being done by using a buffered store combined with a paginggridscroller. Looking at the benchmark code, that's actually what they're doing. On the other hand, when I scroll, there's no visible delay in rendering rows, so I'm not sure that the grid is actually rendering with a buffered view. Maybe someone with some hands-on ExtJS 4 knowledge needs to download the benchmark code and check what is going on?

Vote Rating

Nige (Animal) tore the test apart. It wasn't a fair test for what he says but something that will still motivate us to be better. 4.1.0 won't be the last of performance fixes for grids and other widgets, we have some big plans for 4.2.0 also!

Ext JS Premium Member mcouillard's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mcouillard will become famous soon enough

Exclamation older test - but no one tried 4.1?

older test - but no one tried 4.1?

While this test is simply against 1 of many components these frameworks use, looking only at the most simple test can be a useful comparison.

I downloaded this test and compared Ext 4.0.7 to 4.1.1 and 4.1.2a. I also tried dhtmlx3, though I was less interested in that.

Code:
    Framework   Avg Load Time (Chrome; Test 1, 100 rows, 10 cols)
    Ext 4.0.7   110ms
    Ext 4.1.1   330ms (what performance improvement!?)
    Ext 4.1.2a  340ms
        (debug js versions were NOT used, unlike the original tests)
    dhxGridx3   75ms (SmartRendering OFF)
    IE9 also proved to be around twice as slow using 4.1.1/2 compared to 4.0.

While I realize it's easy to disregard such a simple test, when comparing your own framework's versions against itself and performance gets worse over time... that's a huge red flag to me.

As a long-time user of ExtJS I'd prefer to see continued performance optimizations and lightweight/efficient themes (Neptune sounds like a good start) and build process improvements (Sencha Cmd is rough... but an improvement) over additional features - easily.