Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    icCube is on a distinguished road

Default Sencha GPLv3 questions, Web, Saas & integration with commercial products.

Sencha GPLv3 questions, Web, Saas & integration with commercial products.

After discussion with one of your selling representative it is not clear to me what falls into the GPL license and what not. Sorry, for asking for a formal answer but I believe it's important and other people might have the same kind of questions. GPL licenses on libraries is certainly tricky. There are two different scenarios :

- I'm developing a web site (internet, intranet, Saas, commercial..). As part of the libraries we're using to develop this web site we've Sencha, does these scenarios falls into the GPL license ?

My opinion, is yes, as it's the same usage as for other products: e.g. Joomla, Wordpress. 'Using' a librariy like Sencha is developing.

- The next one is a bit more tricky. We're developing a web reporting solution for our commercial OLAP server (www.iccube.com). We've a free limited version, we develop a couple of LGPL libraries but our flagship product is not open source. The solution allows to set the options to charts and filters (kind of graphs, interactivity, series types, size, colors..). We're already using different charting and js libraries.

It's important to note that the solutions has been developed without Sencha and will be distributed without any of it's library. The product would include a plugin allowing to connect the web reporting with Sencha libraries. Does the plugin needs to be open source and can be distributed with our product? Do we need to pay any royalties for this ?

Again in our opinion yes: our product does not include Sencha and it's the final user who builds his solution integrating both products. This is, IMHO, similar to using a open source relational database (MySql) with our product, or developing a Java plugin with some open source libraries (e.g. for connecting to XML data source or statistical package).

We're also a software company and part of our products are free. I understand your position and that not everyday is easy working for free for people who will not even thank you, but it's the path we choose so let's walk it.

I'll raise the question to fsf.org, to get another answer but I'd appreciate a formal answer from Sencha on these.

Thanks for your great work and indeed for the time you're going to spend :-).
    David

Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

Licensing issues are normally never answered in the forums. Try licensing@sencha.com

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Mank,

I'm expecting an official and public position on this, not a case per case answer. It's up to Sencha drawing the line.

Asking a lawyer, as I've seen answered in other post, makes no sense to me as I'm sure we could find another lawyer telling something else.

Without an answer we can assume Sencha agrees with my position.

Sencha - Community Support Team mankz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all mankz is a name known to all

fwiw, I don't work for Sencha. Just saying, historically these issues have always been delegated to the email address in my previous post. Licensing issues can be very tricky and giving a clear answer without knowing absolutely every detail about a product is very hard. I assume that's the reason they want to deal with each case individually.

While you wait for a reply: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Ups, sorry (read the document yesterday) First question is very general : is a website a product for a GPLv3 library ?

If yes, better never using any GPLv3 library for a website as is going to be a nightmare -> you've to ensure every other peace is GPLv3 compatible.

My point is the position of Sencha more than the 'legal' point of view (I doubt we will go against the will of Sencha even though we think we might be 'legally' right). For us, Sencha is a plus not a must.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

Our official position on GPL can be found in our online FAQ:

http://www.sencha.com/legal/open-source-faq/

As we say there, the GPL license governs and you should seek legal advice as to your particular situation.

Thread Participants: 2