Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    parmeet007 is on a distinguished road

Default Does GWT has enough future compare to Javascript, help me choose EXT GWT or EXT JS

Does GWT has enough future compare to Javascript, help me choose EXT GWT or EXT JS

My Company is planning to rewrite a Flex based application and most of us are Java Flex developer with basic understanding of Javascript.

Why they decided to rewrite, i do not know either, though application is working fine.

However we are having hot debate (almost on war) on weather to user Ext - JS or Ext GWT going farword.

We like the idea of EXT GWT better because most of us are primarily Java developers however we are worried about future of GWT, because we read in some forums that google is putting more weight on closures and they have themself not written anything in GWT and all. Where as Java script gonna be java script supported by all browsers all the time, so can think of it in long horizon

Respected Forum Members please share your thoughts on above, and particularly what do you feel about the future of GWT.

Thank you regards,
    parmeet

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Ext GWT is a first rate product and framework that we have no plans at all canceling. In fact we just rolled out version 3 not long ago and we at Sencha are very excited about that release and future plans that the core devs for that framework have for it.

Ext JS is more popular but Ext GWT still has it's place. If you know Java and not JavaScript, Ext GWT may be the right choice for you.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member suzuki1100nz's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice suzuki1100nz is just really nice

IMHO - For a company to develop cost effectively and robustly they should stick with what the technical team know best.
    i.e. in your case Java so go with GWT
    Particularly if the application is/is going to be an enterprise application.
    If your team dont know Javascript well its would be risky to recode an enterprise app outside of your primary skillset
    Last edited by suzuki1100nz; 11 Apr 2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: speling misteaks

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    h.wagner@telekom.de will become famous soon enough

Even if GWT uses Java, the API itself requires quite allot of learning and mindset changing for the developers and also architecture changes/restrictions for an application itself.

IMO a decision depends on the detail/control level you need over your output, i.e. if you need allot of customization, plug-ins and UI tuning, than ExtJS might be the better alternative since on always need to do/try/fail/retry the dirty stuff at the browser level .

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

@parmeet007

If you plan to write enterprise scale applications then GWT is the way to go.
    JS is just not there yet compare to what Java brings to the table.

Also note that GWT is widely used inside Google. Key products like Google Adwords, iGoogle, Google flights, Blogger, Shopping, Google offers,etc.. are built using GWT. And if you follow the GWT contributors Group you will see commits going into GWT on a daily basis.

And Ray just announced exiting things coming in GWT 2.5

https://plus.google.com/110412141990...ts/Nvr6Se6eAPh

Plus there is a huuuuge community behind GWT. Even if Google stops developing GWT today( for whatever reason) , there are tausend of devs out there ready to pick it up.

So bottom line : You want to write enterprise scale HTML5 application using real software engineering ? GWT(EXT-GWT) is the way to go.

Cheers

P.S curious why you guyz decided to drop Flex ?