Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    gatherworks is on a distinguished road

Default Calling Application Basic Functions

Calling Application Basic Functions

Hi,

I have defined an Application Basic Function and added code to it. I see the code in the generated application config file.

However, now I am stumped. How do I call this method. I have inspected the all the variables in the debugger and could not find a way to call that function.

My app is named AdminApp.... tried AdminApp.method(); Ext.app.... does not have any reference to it.

Please let me know what I am missing here.

Thanks!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I see the "MOVE" prefix on this post. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Would it be possible to find out where things are moved to?

(I figured out that it was moved to Help & Discussions instead of bugs where I posted it. But still wondering if the move tag could have told me that in the first place). Just some feedback for a future version.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Move just denoted that it was a discussion topic, not a bug.

Touch and Ext have slightly different syntaxes for invoking the method of an Application method since Touch has a newer MVC package. (You can assume that future versions of Ext will be closer to Touch).

The following assumes we have adding a method named "myMethod" to our Application and we are using the default namespace of "MyApp". Change these to be appropriate to your application.

In Touch:

In controllers, you can access the application instance by invoking this.getApplication().
    Code:
    this.getApplication().myMethod();
    Touch stores a global reference to the application instance in MyApp.app.
    Code:
    MyApp.app.myMethod();
    In Ext:

In controllers, you can access the application instance by the property this.application.
    Code:
    this.application.myMethod();
    Ext does not store a global reference to the application instance.

Once you have a reference to the application instance you can invoke the method.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks. I am using Ext and I am not inside a controller. Does that mean that I cannot access this function?

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

I'd probably do MyApp.app = this; within Application launch. That way you can access it via the global MyApp.app.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks! That works great.

Thread Participants: 1