Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    bseddon will become famous soon enough

Default Unanswered: VJET plugin

Unanswered: VJET plugin

Mitchell

In a couple of posts you've commented that Sencha is developing a VJET plugin. Is there any update? Specifically, is the Sencha work being committed to one of the vjetteam repositories?

I like ExtJS (and have licensed it) but I am increasingly concerned at the productivity hit we're taking using ExtJS. I concede the bang per buck using ExtJS is high but writing code to handle, for example, events is time consuming because, ironically, the framework is so rich and the object model so extensive.

Without code completion (or an eidetic memory) coding against ExtJS is time consuming because of the number of times its necessary to refer to the documentation to find the correct functions or the correct configuration parameters. The designer is a massive help while layouts and stores are being created but it's not long before it's necessary to resort to coding.

VJET is a great plugin when using, say, JQuery because, as you know, it allows variables and function return values to be typed, at least within the VJET editor, so the editor is able to present correct function and argument hints. I think this is likely to go a long way to resolving the main productivity issues.

It's fantastic to find there's a plan to create a plugin/typelib for ExtJS (not just Ext core). I've built the most recent VJET source and will be investigating any existing ExtJS support - for example the extjs.selfdescribe project in the vjetteam's 'experimental' repository.

In my view, the productivity issue is a sufficiently important one to resolve I'd like to find a way to contribute to this project. Who should I contact?

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

I have notified Mitch of your request.

Regards,
    Scott.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

@bseddon

I talked to the person in charge of the project and didn't get an answer I liked but can understand. Currently it is under development but there is no public status report on it. Once we have something on it we will be announcing something.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Thanks for looking into my question though the content is disappointing (I appreciate this is not your doing).

I guess all I want is to figure out if there's a project to contribute to rather than doing it independently. I supposed I'd hoped that one open source project using another there'd be no problem with transparency.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

From an outsider looking in (I'm not part of the project) I think the team surely knows how important this plugin would be and are going to great lengths to make sure the quality is at the up-most importance so taking their time to get it right is very important.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers

I've managed software projects for more years than I care to admit. I'm reacting to the vague-ness of the responses about VJET because in my experience it's unusual for ones without dates to be delivered any time soon. Meanwhile I (and I suspect other of your clients) have an immediate problem which is likely to cost time and money today.

My alternative perspective is to comment that in this case a perfect product is not ideal. One that offers any respite is to be welcomed. If we are to use ExtJS I have to solve this problem now. It will be ideal to work with others but, it seems, I will have to go it alone and from that perspective, its a shame that if work is underway its not transparent.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jamesfin is on a distinguished road

It was announced this week at 360/Flex that VJet will be available Q3/2012.