Looks like we can't reproduce the issue or there's a problem in the test case provided.
    Vote Rating
    lorezyra will become famous soon enough lorezyra will become famous soon enough

Default ST2 project - device sizes inaccurate

ST2 project - device sizes inaccurate

Hey guys, Can you update the default list of device resolutions (sizes) to be more accurate? There are two different resolutions for both the iPhone and iPad...

For a more complete list: look here:

http://cartoonized.net/cellphone-screen-resolution.php

Otherwise, I typically have to update the list manually to the following:
    iPhone3 - 320 x 480
    iPhone4 - 640 x 960
    iPad - 768 x 1024
    iPad3 - 1536 x 2048
    Nexus S - 480 x 800
    PlayBook/Kindle Fire - 600 x 1024
    Kindle3 - 600 x 800
    Perfection as a goal is a nice idea that can point one in a specific direction. However, since "perfection" is an ever changing (evolving?) and moving target, one must admit that perfection can never be obtained...

When in doubt, check the d4mn source code!
    ================================================
    And here are my terms...
    1. I don't care if you use my source code. (Known as "Code.")
    2. I don't care if I get any monetary compensation.
    3. I do care to receive credit for Code provided. So, please keep my name in the comments for Code provided.
    4. Code is provided without warranty "AS-IS" and I claim absolutely no warranty nor liability to the quality, security, and run-ability on any platform.
    5. By using Code, you accept all risk inherit with Code regardless if Code has known and yet to be discovered bugs.
    6. You are welcome to change and improve the Code to best meet your needs.
    7. I don't care if you use the Code in a commercial or open-source project.
    8. You are not required to contact me prior to using the Code.
    Simple. Enjoy.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

I don't think we should be adding the high-res versions for retina iOS devices. While technically those devices do have higher physical resolutions, they use a logical resolution equal to the non-retina devices. Sizing the Architect canvas to 640x960, for instance, is going to give a very inaccurate representation of how it would look on a retina iPhone -- you'd have to double the size of all of the rendered contents as well as the size of the canvas itself for it to be accurate.
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Vote Rating

Why would you have to double the physical size of the canvas? The zoom level could be changed to 50% or lower.

In any case, my request was in response to the list getting purged after re-installing SA2. I found it annoying to re-enter the sizes manually. I thought if those values were by default, then I wouldn't have to enter them in...
    Perfection as a goal is a nice idea that can point one in a specific direction. However, since "perfection" is an ever changing (evolving?) and moving target, one must admit that perfection can never be obtained...

And here are my terms...
    3. I do care to receive credit for Code provided. So, please keep my name in the comments for Code provided.
    4. Code is provided without warranty "AS-IS" and I claim absolutely no warranty nor liability to the quality, security, and run-ability on any platform.
    5. By using Code, you accept all risk inherit with Code regardless if Code has known and yet to be discovered bugs.
    Simple. Enjoy.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

Not sure what you mean about zooming to 50%, you'd still have a canvas set to a logical resolution that is twice that of the actual target device and would give you a very inaccurate rendering. Easiest way to think about it: on retina iOS devices, the browser uses logical pixels that consist of four physical pixels. Therefore the browser has a logical resolution equal to that of the corresponding non-retina device, in terms of how all CSS lengths are measured. Something set to width:10px will actually use 20 physical pixels on the device.

If you are adding those retina resolutions manually yourself, then I'd strongly caution you that you are not getting an accurate rendering of what it will look like on an actual retina device. Specifically, the canvas will display all text, borders, paddings, explicit widths/heights, etc. at half the size it will display at on the device.

Anyway... your original message didn't seem to say anything about the list being purged. This should not happen, so can you provide any more information? Did this happen only once, or is it an ongoing problem?
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Vote Rating

Yes. When I update/upgrade, the modifications I made to the list are lost.

And here are my terms...
    Simple. Enjoy.

Thread Participants: 1