Looks like we can't reproduce the issue or there's a problem in the test case provided.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    wzl002 is on a distinguished road

Default [4.1] ( IE 7 only ) Panel/Componet Can't getHeight() in beforeLayout.

[4.1] ( IE 7 only ) Panel/Componet Can't getHeight() in beforeLayout.

REQUIRED INFORMATION

Ext version tested:
    • Ext-4.1.0-gpl

Browser versions tested against:
    • ____
    • IE8
    • FF11.0
    • IE7

Description:
    • Panel Can't get correct value by getHeight() in beforeLayout..

Steps to reproduce the problem:
    • Create a Panel with height, overwrite the beforeLayout method and run 'getHeight()'.

The result that was expected:
    • getHeight() return the height as set.

The result that occurs instead:
    • In IE 7, getHeight() return a wrong value.

Test Case:

Code:
        Ext.create('Ext.panel.Panel', {

height: 500,

beforeLayout: function(){

var height = this.getHeight(); // IE8, FF, get 500, IE7 get 15

return this.callParent(arguments);
    }
    }

HELPFUL INFORMATION

Debugging already done:
    • none

Possible fix:
    • not provided

Additional CSS used:
    • only default ext-all.css

Operating System:
    • WinXP

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

It seems like this logic should not be in beforeLayout but in afterLayout. It is the job of the layout to determine the height.

In your example, you have a hard-coded height, so your use of getHeight should work in this limited case. If you only need it to work in this scenario, you can obviously access the height property as a workaround for now. If you need getHeight to be correct in more general cases, the logic cannot be inside of beforeLayout (if you want the correct answer).
    Don Griffin
    Ext JS Development Team Lead

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    wzl002 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    It seems like this logic should not be in beforeLayout but in afterLayout. It is the job of the layout to determine the height.

In your example, you have a hard-coded height, so your use of getHeight should work in this limited case. If you only need it to work in this scenario, you can obviously access the height property as a workaround for now. If you need getHeight to be correct in more general cases, the logic cannot be inside of beforeLayout (if you want the correct answer).
    It was a logic in my custom component. I wrote a portalpanel with layout 'column', and I want all its items has the same height as the portal, so I set the items's height in the portal's beforLayout.
    Now with a hard-coded height(it wasn't), I have change the me.getHeight() into me.height to fix it.
    But a same code get different result in browsers, I think this is a need report bug, isn't it?

Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

As I mentioned, the height of a component is not known in beforeLayout in most cases. Calling getHeight at this time will just return whatever the raw markup or the last layout produced. This won't be correct if you define "correct" as what the height should be based on its layout - that is, the size it will be in afterLayout.

If you need to watch for size changes, you can override afterLayout, but it is probably better use a resize event listener since that will avoid work when layouts result in no size change.

All that said, however, the goal you describe of a column layout where all columns have the same height is probably better achieved by an hbox layout using align stretch:

PHP Code:
        {

xtype'container',

layout: {

type'hbox',

align'stretch'

},

items: [{

title'Column 1'

},{

title'Column 2'

},{

title'Column 3'

}]
        } 
    That will be much more efficient than trying to match the size of the columns in a column layout by watching the size of the container.
    Don Griffin

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating

I'm going to close this ticket because any value you might get from getHeight in beforeLayout will by definition be incorrect. The height will determined by the layout of the container, so the logic dependent on that value has to be located in a method or event that occurs after the value is calculated.
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Thread Participants: 2