Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Default Docs painfully slow in google chrome

Docs painfully slow in google chrome

The new docs app looks fantastic, but it's too slow to be usable online.

I did some measurements of the ST2 docs:
    • Base URL: http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/api
    • Load page (empty cache): 20.2 seconds
    • Load Ext singleton tab: 4.39 seconds
    • Load Panel tab: 30.99 seconds (8 seconds to page, the rest to load the live preview)
    • Activate Panel tab from Ext tab: 2.5 seconds

(I did an empty cache measurement because this is my typical experience as a web developer. I regularly clear my browser cache.)

There are two culprits here, one major, and one minor.

The major culprit is page weight. I'm getting 50 KB / sec download speeds (typical corporate network proxy on my end). The page is 6.87 MB total (after opening those two tabs). ext-all.js takes 14.25 seconds, sencha-touch-all-compat.js (live preview) takes 22.79 seconds.

The minor culprit is the processing time to bootstrap the live preview. It takes 2.5 seconds to switch tabs, which is almost entirely due to the live preview.

Recommendations:
    • Never show the live preview by default when opening a new tab.
    • Reduce the page weight (don't use ext-all, don't use sencha-touch-all-compat)

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... cleared my cache and it took about 3 seconds to load the app. Ext api page was almost instant for me. Cleared cache and loaded Ext.Panel and it took about 5-6 seconds but wasn't that bad IMO.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

I'm not surprised. You're probably sitting right next to the server (in a manner of speaking). I'm in a different continent and behind a slowish proxy. I'm not saying the problem is on your end, I'm just asking to please cater to users who aren't on a perfect network. I'm sure your chinese users will appreciate a faster docs app.

If I can offer some advice, try running the docs app through a proxy that can simulate slow networks (I use fiddler). I have users from china accessing servers in Denmark, and that's the only way I can simulate their experience.

Vote Rating
    danguba is on a distinguished road

Why don't you deploy docs locally?
    All Best
    ---
    Željko Mitrović
    http://skitanja.blogspot.com/

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." Martin Golding

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

I do deploy them locally, but the examples don't work (for sencha touch), and I lose the doc comments.

I'd prefer using the online version.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    strictlyphp is on a distinguished road

I'm happy to read someone else has the same problem.
    Let's assume the location does not have any significant influence on this.

Opening new tabs, switching between them: that's the thing that is slow with me (more than a few seconds per tab).

I sadly enough kind of got used to it though.